Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Aggravated! I have a Mac G3 with OS9 I have a Mac G5 with…

Aggravated! I have a Mac G3...
Aggravated!
I have a Mac G3 with OS9
I have a Mac G5 with OSX
I Tried networking through Ethernet to transfer files from the G3 to the G5 but I can't get that to work.
The G5 can't seem to see the G3, etc.
So I purchased a WD external drive to clone everything on the G3 so I could transfer it to the G5
The G5 sees the external drive and can clone drives, etc.
But when I hook it up to the G3, it first said the USB device required more power than the G3 could provide.
So I got a powered USB hub.
But now when I hook it up to the G3, the drive does NOT show up at all.
(With or without the hub)
Still works fine on the G5.
I need to get the files off the G3 onto the G5.
Can't move the Hard drives from the G3 to the G5 since the G3 uses the old ribbon cables, etc., and the G5 hard drives plugs into a card slot.Help!
8/14/2016
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi Mark,
My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

The easiest solution to this problem is to use a hard disk drive caddy to hold the old drive and connect it to the new G5:

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Docking-Station-Support-Optimized/dp/B00ITDSN5Y

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Pete, Computer Engineer