Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My iPhone is disabled and says connect to iTunes. Please…

Customer Question
My iPhone is disabled and...
My iPhone is disabled and says connect to iTunes. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
8/7/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It sounds like you had psascode enabled on it, but all this time you were unlocking it via Finger print. iPhone requires you to enter passcode after software update or restart. There was a software update released couple of days ago and that probably triggered the requirement for passcode on your iPhone. It is now asking you to restore it from iTunes on your computer

Do you have access to a computer there ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there?

Yes, I'm writing your answer. Will post in a few minutes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no. can't you run me through it?

Since the iPhone is disabled, your only option is erase the iPhone from iCloud or force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users. (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to bypass the passcode/disabled screen and get it restored). Your iPhone is asking you to restore it.

But if you had backed up your iPhone to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPhone from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Following are the two methods to fix it

Method 1 : Erase from iCloud

If you have iCloud enabled on it and also if your iPhone is connected to WiFi/internet, then you can do the erase (restore) from iCloud - so you don't have to go through the restore steps.

On your computer, go to www.icloud.com

Login to your iCloud/Apple account. Click Find iPhone. Select your iPhone under All Devices. Click Erase button and it will be erased (if it is connected to WiFi network). This will erase and restore your iPhone . After that, setup your iPhone .

If this didn't work, then please do the Method 2 following below;

Method 2 : Fix it using iTunes on your computer by putting the phone to recovery/DFU mode

Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it. It may take a few tries to get it restored. So be sure to follow the instructions correctly.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

After restoring the iPhone, follow the instructions on your iPhone to setup it and when it ask to restore data, select "Restore from iCloud Backup". If there is any backup available, this will allow you to restore yoru files back from online back up.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this what they would do at the apple store?

Yes, exactly the same.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would they charge me the same?

That I'm not sure, but they usually do if your iPhone is out of warranty. Some store does charge for restore.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a brand new phone.....only had it replaced a few weeks ago. Please refund my $30 and I will take it to the apple store. Thanks for your help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You still there?

Ok Mary. I don't have access to your account to process the refund. I'm only a tech in here. For refund, please contact or email to *****@******.*** and they will process refund.

Since you are going for refund, please don't rate my answer bad or poor or anything. Please ignore all rating requests you get from here or from email. Ignore them.

Best Regards,