Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

About 3 years ago I switched from an i-mac to a lap top: OS

Customer Question
X YOsemite, version 10.10.5 (serial...
About 3 years ago I switched from an i-mac to a lap top: OS X YOsemite, version 10.10.5 (serial # C2QNNOEUG4H1. I lost all the photos in my I-photo albums. Is there any way to get them back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
8/1/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

When actually did you lose them ?

What happens when you open iPhoto ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lost when I switched from my old computer, 3-4 years ago (I Mac) to new lap top. When I open I-Photo, only one photo turns up. It is now just called "photo" and none of my albums are there. Library is empty.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would it help if you connected to my device? I can't see why that would help.

In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. This will open Home folder. Open Pictures folder and how many libraries do you see there ?

If you accept remote connection service, then I will connect to your Mac and try to fix the issue myself for you while you watch. If I couldn't solve your problem, then you will get full refund.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi...can't find "GO menu in finder....how do I do this?

Ok, do this. Close Photos if it is open. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and open Photos app. How many libraries do you see in the resulting box ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
went to Photos" and black background with 1 recent photo in it and no libraries. Have tried that many times over the last several years. Can't afford to switch to a Secure Remote Assistance === sorry. MB
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have a feeling this isn't going to be solved....same old, same old. Can I have my $30 back if you give up? MB

Remote service is optional. I don't know how you lost it, so I'm trying to figure it out. Did you do what I said ?

Close Photos app if it is open. Then hold down Option/alt key and open Photos while holding it down. What do you see on the screen ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
did what you said...even with Option/alt key and Photos get the same black background and 1 current photo when I go to "libraries"....nothing more.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think this isn't going to work....is there a way to contact I-photo directly and get them to retrieve my photo albums?

Yes, but I'm trying to if the iPhoto library is there.

Lets check if the photos are even there on the Mac. Click on the blue Finder icon on the dock. Then hold down Option/alt key, click on Go menu at the top bar, top of the screen, click on Go menu and select Pictures. This will bring Pictures folder. How many files do you see there and what are they ?

BTW If I couldn't solve your problem, you will get full refund. So no worries.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok -- so I clicked on the finder...up came "all my files" and no GO menu, so I went to "system preferences" also no "GO menu".
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My "finder" is acting weird...use to bring up Applications...anyway...none of them have a " go mean" at the top.

In Finder, click on Go menu, select Home. In Home, open Pictures folder. The Go menu is on the top bar, top of the screen and you will see Go menu only if you are in Finder window.

Also, search JPG in spotlight (searchbox or magnifier at top right) and does it return your pics ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok found the Go menu at the very top...clicked there and no
pictures" listed.

In Finder, click on Go menu, select Home. In Home, open Pictures folder. How many and what files do you see there ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
JPG brings up nothing. GO and the HOME brings up Picturs folder and it's the same old, same old, recent one photo, inc in the "library"....I think the truth is that I-photo did not switch my photo album over to my new computer....and there may be not way to get the old albums....n'est-ce pas?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Time to give up?

All the photos are saved in single file called iPhoto Library. Search iPhoto Library in Spotlight and does it return anything ?

It sounds like it is not switched to your new Mac. Do you still have the old Mac or any Time Machine backup ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually I unfortunately have to leave now... I think we should end this wild goose chase, and I should get my $30 back....ok?

Sure. Please email to customer support at *****@******.*** for refund. I'm really sorry, it seems like the library wasn't transferred to this Mac. Atleast if the library is there, we would be able to recover the albums/photos. Sorry I couldn't solve your issue

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK -- thanks...hope this "Support" help is quick as I have an appt. Go well....

Just email them and they will take care of it. I'm only a tech in here, so I don't have access to your account to process refund.

Best Regards,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks...I emailed them, got a general response..we'll see. Hopefully it will be taking care of. Best, MB

They will reply. Have a good day !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks, ***** ***** I keep getting emails saying I haven't responded to you, but I think I have. Thanks....and have a good day.

Hi there, Those are automated messages. Please ignore them.

Best Regards,

Mike, Mac Medic