Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My iPhoto no longer opens. it tries and then shuts down,

Customer Question
my iPhoto no longer opens. JA...
my iPhoto no longer opens.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: it tries and then shuts down
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing…i am not a computer person
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 10.7.5
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: i am trying to get all my photos saved to a external hard drive because it saying that my hard drive is about to crash
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
7/23/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello and welcome to justanswer,my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, please bakup your photos then try to rebuild the iPhoto library:

1. Quit iPhoto.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

let me know the results

Thank you

Has everything worked out, do you still need help please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi,I followed these steps, and I got iPhoto to actually open and show pictures. However, it only stays open for a minute, and then it shuts down with a notice that iPhoto quit unexpectedly.

Please Try to reset the PRAM :

1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option, P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Now let's check / repair the disk permissions :

1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.
3) Run the "Repair Permissions" after selecting your Hard Drive from the list on the left.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) reopen iPhoto

If the problem persists Click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose software update.

Update iphoto to the latest version. Restart.

Let me know if this works

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am about to try your second set of instructions. However I see that you mention a software update. I tried to update earlier but it mentioned that my hard drive is about to crash. i tried to repair it but i was unable to do so.

Ok, please try the second instruction and let me know the results.

Let me know if you need further assistance

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. I only heard the start up sound twice before it went to the sign in screen. I continued to follow the instructions anyway, and iPhoto still won't stay open. There isn't an iPhoto software update, but when i hook my external hd to see it tells me that changes have been made with a more up to date iPhoto (on my laptop). do i need to update to os x el capitan to have access to a newer iPhoto?

No you don't need to update to el capitan, let me open your question to other experts.

ragards,

Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Since the normal rebuild procedure doesn't work, then you have to rebuild using a third party application named iPhoto Library Manager. Please do it and let me know the results.

Download and install it from here (use the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Open iPhoto Library Manager. Select your iPhoto Library, click on Library menu in the top and select Rebuild Library. This will verify the library. Then click the Rebuild button on the right.

After rebuilding, open iPhoto. BTW You said, something about your hard drive is about to trash. So I would recommend to back up all your important files ASAP to your external hard drive.

Let me know it goes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i don't have rebuild library...i have reveal library

There should be rebuild library. Select your iPhoto Library in left column. Click on Library menu at top bar and does it show Rebuild Library ?

Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi, my name is ***** ***** Apple support professional.

I notice that your laptop tells you your drive is failing.

For this reason I would advise skipping any steps to try to repair iPhoto.

Instead, open Finder > Pictures, then drag and drop anything from there to the external hard drive and wait for it to finish.

When your pictures have been transferred then you can move onto the next most important thing to save...

I think it's priority to just copy what you can while you can, and then take it for service.

If you would like to ask anything about what I've said here, reply to me please. Thank you.

David, Mac Support Specialist