Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My son has a MacBook Air. When he puts in s password, the

Customer Question

my son has a MacBook Air. When he puts in his password, the progress bar gets about 1/4 of the way through and the computer shuts down
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: We bought it 3yrs ago, I'm not sure what system he is running
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried running the diagnostic test, but it would never finish. The progress bar on the test screen was almost to the end and it just sat there and did nothing for over an hour.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Lets try this repair first

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Then, hold down the left shift key as soon as your mac starts to turn on.. Keep holding it till you see the apple symbol. This should attempt to start the machine in safe mode.

If it wont start after ten minutes send a reply.. If it does start in safe mode.. Run this repair next and then get back to me.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if it opened in safe mode or not, but I had the option to choose a language, then it opened OS X Utilities. I chose disk utility-macintosh HD Repair disk permissions was not highlighted but Verify Disk and Repair disk are available. I chose each of those, but nothing changed