Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Apple Tv 1st generation not accepting apple id and pw, reset

Customer Question
Apple Tv 1st generation not...
Apple Tv 1st generation not accepting apple id and pw
JA: When did you last reset your Apple ID or password?
Customer: reset where?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: EVERYTHING - took APTV to genius store today - they thought it might be something with itunes. Came home - called apple. Finally uninstalled itunes and then reinstalled
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I did disconnect the wireless router and put internet connection straight into apple tv as, after hours of research on the web, thought it might be my wireless modem but it's not
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok - email me the answer - its after midnight and I gotta go to bed! I will see if your answer works - I have rebooted everything, turned everything off and on. Did a factory restore but the apple tv device does not show up on my itunes either.
6/27/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Carl L, IT Specialist replied 1 year ago
Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist

Hi, I'm Carl and welcome to Just Answer. The first thing I read was that you have a 1st Gen Apple TV that won't accept your Apple ID. If it's connected online then the login is most likely incorrect. Goto icloud.com and try signing into the same account using any capitalized letters that the password ***** contain. What works there should also work on the Apple TV. Be sure if any letters are caps that you input them as caps when you are signing in on the Apple TV.

If you need any clarification or additional help, please feel free to ask me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This website is very frustrating! Account # ***** and Order ID# ***** I did sign into iclouds and itunes - no problems there. I have rebooted everything several times - even did factory reset on ATV. It gives me a code to input in itunes - but the ATV device does not show up in my itunes. Now what?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did what was recommended last night - it did not work. Order ID: 16420980-730.I am signed into itunes and icloud - no problems there. I have rebooted everything several times - ATV, modem, wireless modem. Even tried to do factory reset - ATV gives me a code to input in itunes. When in itunes - it does not even see that ATV is a device so cannot input code.

Are you able to signin to ATV using your Apple Account? It shouldn't give you a code unless you are signed in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No - that was the original problem - every time I sign into ATV it says "apple ID you entered couldn't be found or your pw was incorrect" - I then tried to reboot and then tried the factory reset as didn't know what else to do. ATV won't accept pw and on itunes it does not shwo ATV as a device.

It won't show it as a device until it successfully signs in on the ATV. Are there any capital letters or special charters in the password? If so, change the password ***** just lowercase letters and numbers and try it again. If it's connected online it should work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My apple id and pw are correct - it is a very, very simple id and pw - it won't sign in

Ok, I know in the past that the 1st & 2nd Gens would have issues not transmitting the characters correctly using the ATV Remote. Do you have another iDevice like an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, etc? If so, download the Remote App and use it as your remote to enter in the Apple ID and Password.

Also, make sure 2 step verification is turned off on your Account as this can also cause a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

Let me know how it goes. Fingers crossed! :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing worked - closed account. Gonna buy new ATV.
Carl L
Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist