Justin Williams
Justin Williams,
Experience:  Freelance IT Consultant at Westlake Computers LLC
93707858

Trying to burn a DVD from iDVD, constantly getting error msg

Customer Question

Trying to burn a DVD from iDVD, constantly getting error msg - "There was an error during movie encoding." Have been burnin movies for years from iMovie to iDVD, but this is a first. At wit's end, tried numerous "fixes" with no luck.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 1 year ago.

I will be happy to assist you with this.

Can you be a little more specific? Is it only this particular video that is failing to burn?

Have you tried other videos, just to ensure that the functionality is still there? If it is only this particular video, make sure you go through all the normal things. Like changing the disc, rebooting, etc.

This is just to make sure that the problem is related solely to that video. If it is, can you give me the parameters on that video? How large is it? What is the resolution? How did you create the whole thing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
having trouble burning a video created in iMovie, trying to burn in iDVD, working on a Mac Mini Server running OS X El Capitan 10.11.5
here is the error - "there was an error during movie encoding" This is what I see after 45min-1 1/2hrs of processing within the iDVD app. I have tried - stopping the screensaver, removing the energy saver, rebooting the Mac several times, save the iDVD project as a disc image, reducing the length of the video to less than 1 hr, and tried exporting the movie from iMove to an .m4v file so that I could burn directly to disc with no menu, but then received this error - can't be burned because device failed to calibrate laser at this level.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been burning movies for years, I have never seen this specific error

I understand that the video was created in iMovie, but what is the source? A webcam? Another video? Also, have you tried a different disc? Or are you still trying with that original disc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the movie was imported from a canon camcorder, gl2, using a miniDV tape. I have tried multiple blank discs.

Have you ensured that the burner and software are indeed functioning? by attempting a test burn using a different video?

I apologize if this is repetitive. We are trying to determine the root cause. And if the root cause is that specific video, we need to know that. If you can burn a different video, then we know the issue is that specific file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sending a diff project to iDVD, prob is, it is incredibly time consuming, as this will take hours, sending to iDVD, creating the menu, and finally rendering and burning.

It should not take hours if you just try to burn a small video. If you are sending a full project, you are correct. But we are just trying to test functionality here. Knowing for certain that there is no physical issue with the burner and the system is imperative to move forward. Also, I will be able to work on this whenever you take the next steps. I will be notified as soon as you make a posting here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just received the same iDVD error - "There was an error during movie encoding."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was a different iMovie project, and is populated within iDVD. I added a screenshot of the error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears this is a bad time for you, Chris? Should i ask another expert?
Expert:  Justin Williams replied 1 year ago.

I have had this issue in the past, and I was able to fix it by opening the movie in Quicktime, exporting it as a .mov file and then burning it to DVD. Hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
were you able at some point in the future to burn in iDVD? That app offers some great menus which I like to use for my customers.

Yes, that is the app I was using. Give it a shot - there is a good chance it will at least allow you to work around the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try the method using Quicktime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All right, thought it might be more simple than I what I had originally thought. How does one burn the file using Quicktime? Thanks for your help, Justin.

Don't think you can burn from within Quicktime. You need to use iDVD

To export: Open your video in Quicktime, then go to File>Export

Name the exported movie, and make sure "Format" is set to "Movie"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Will try that.

That should create a .mov file that you can then open and burn in iDVD.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rendering menu video assets now. 37min out.

Alright; I'll be around all night. Just let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I rec'd - There was an error during muxing preparation (project conversion).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sent you a screenshot also...if that is helpful to illustrate

Unfortunate. Here is how someone else with that same error fixed it. Let me know if you think this might apply to your case:

"I had the same error using iMovie and iDVD but now it's fixed.

What I did is that I had to go back into imovie and make sure my chapter marks are correctly aligned with my movie (i.e. not in a middle of a transition). Also make sure your audio track "ends" correctly in the movie and not interfering with the chapter marks or transition."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gonna trash the plist files. where can I locate those?

The plist files for what? iDVD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for iDVD. and finding some recommend trashing the plist for iDVD
  1. delete the iDVD preference file, com.apple.iDVD.plist, that resides in your Home() /Library/Preferencesfolder.
  2. go to your Home()/Library/Caches/com.apple.iDVD folder and delete its contents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reappointed the positions of the chapters, sent to iDVD, but unfortunately there is no audio on playback of the various scenes/chapters/movie. ...?

So the movie itself has no audio throughout the entire thing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. in imovie, it had audio throughout the entire movie, however when sent to iDVD, somehow the audio was lost. I have done a little googling, but am unable to locate a solution. I did, however, go into the drop downs, remove a song I added to the menu which revealed the mute/unmute option for the menu, but that did not resolve anything for the movie itself within the iDVD app. FYI - running OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 on mac mini server with iDVD 7.1.2 if the iDVD software app is out of date, I am not sure of where to find an update as I am unable to locate one within the App store.

Which version of iDVD are you currently running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7.1.2

That is the newest version as far as I can tell.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would deleting cache files help? Any other thoughts?

I don't think deleting cache would help. I am basically at a loss at this point. Aside from starting the project over from scratch, I dont really have any other suggestions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks, Justin.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to submit a rating for me. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
Justin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Justin, thanks for the message, but the ideas you submitted did not enable me to burn the footage to a dvd. So I am unsure as to how to rate your performance, being that it remains unresolved and I need to request a refund.

No problem. Please go here to see how you can request a refund. https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

Have a good weekend!