Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Tried hooking up my DVD usb superdrive to my 2011 macbook

Customer Question
pro..el capitan os...and it says...
tried hooking up my DVD usb superdrive to my 2011 macbook pro..el capitan os...and it says it's not supported..>>??
I have a SSD and regular HD on it if that matters.
The guys at Best Buy said it would just work from the get-go..any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 1 year ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Hi Steven! Assuming your account is setup as an administrator on this MacBook, please try the following:

Open a terminal window and type the following command:

sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"

Enter your password ***** prompted and then reboot your computer. Is the drive working for you now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

how do i open terminal window?

On OS X, open your Applications folder, then open the Utilities folder. You will find the terminal application there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

password ***** the device? the password ***** usually use for Apple isn't working

Hi Steven: the password ***** are being prompted for should be whichever one you use to login to your computer. This may or may not be your Apple ID password.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

that's what i'm trying, no luck..tried apple ID too

once i hit return and typed it in, no luck..a few times actually..

now i'm getting a password ***** with a lock symbol..it won't let me type. When I hit return I get the same lock symbol

It sounds as though your account is not setup as an Administrator on this computer. Let's see if we can find out:

1. Open the Apple menu.
  2. Select System Preferences.
  3. In the System Preferences window, click on the Accounts icon.
  4. In the list of accounts on the left side of the Accounts window, locate your account.
  5. If the word “Admin” is immediately below your account name, then you are an administrator on this workstation.
    If the word “Standard” is there, then you are not an administrator and your account cannot be used to install software or make administrative changes.

Please let me know!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Nothing says 'accounts'..there's on that says 'internet accounts' but that's not it.

I don't see anything like what you're describing.

Hi Steven -- do you see an option instead for Users & Groups? If so, open that...the list of users for your computer will be listed there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I looked under users and groups and it says i'm the administrator

Hi Steven...I'm home ill today and so don't want you to have to wait on me for an answer to this. I'm going to open this question up for some of our other experts to respond, and hopefully get you to a solution faster than I can presently.

Thanks for bearing with us. Another expert will be with you very shortly, and you'll be notified when they are.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

sorry to hear that..get better and thanks for the continuity

Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

It may be best if I connect to your mac from here and work on this issue directly. Ive sent that offer to you, once accepted or rejected we can continue.

Dustin S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

no

In that case, you are going to have to either edit your kext files, or edit your boot.plist file.

Both methods are discussed on two well written posts on this page.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20111107064435227

With that being said, its an hour past the end of my shift and almost 11 pm locally. So if you need assistance carrying out those steps, Id be happy to help you tomorrow.

Dustin S

Hello again, I havent heard back from you for a few days.

Did you still need help with this issue?

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist