Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Updated Ipad2 and now asking to activate. : probably 4 years

Customer Question
updated Ipad2 and now asking...
updated Ipad2 and now asking for password ***** activate.
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: probably 4 years ago
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: updating through ITunes and restore boot
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: not right now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
6/11/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

This can happen for a few reasons and also there are a few different fixes to try. Rather then typing them all here I am going to give you a link with all of the step by step instructions to try. If none on the list work let me know. Here is the link

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206203

Try everything on that list in order but as I said if nothing works please let me know and I will help further.

Thank you,

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have never used the Icloud and it isn't asking for apple ID

What does it say on the screen when you turn it on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all that shows after starting is Enter Passcode and a key pad

Ok and when you enter the passcode? Does it say "Your iPad could not be activated because the activation service is temporarily unavailable."

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have never used the passcode and don't know it.

Have you ever synced the ipad with your computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have used the pass codes that we have used when you could use 4 numbers and nothing works. It will not sync ITunes says it is locked with pass code

Ok try a restore.

Connect your iPad your computer.

1. Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. While your iPad is connected, force it to restart: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Keep holding down the buttons until you see the Recovery mode screen.
  3. When you get the option to restore or update in iTunes, choose Update.
  4. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your iPad will exit recovery mode, and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.
  5. After the update is complete, you need to leave your iPad connected to the computer and complete the activation setup process for your iPad using iTunes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
don't want to Recover, will loose all the content on the Ipad

The instructions I just gave you above will attempt to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know I can restore to factory settings, but was wanting to save what is on the ipad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
everything I read from apple says that it will reformat

The instructions are not for a factory restore, they are to attempt to reinstall the operating system without erasing your data.

Look at step 4,

Connect your iPad your computer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried the update twice and it continues to say ask for pass code

There is always some risk when you have an issue like this but this is the best attempt at a fix I know of. This is why it is important to backup the ipad either to a computer or icloud. If you are unable to follow the steps or do not want to attempt them it may be easiest to bring it by the apple store and have them do it for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
update only installs the latest update. So its true that apple is covering it butt after the FBI and forcing all their products to require pass codes, even those that previously didn't want password *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is more of a toy and used with kids and some internet searching. Is there a way to revert back to the previous OS before the update?

There is but you would need to have a backup in itunes in order to restore it. It does not store a backup on the ipad itself it needs to store it to a computer or icloud. I would suggest you either try the steps I suggested which was to recover without erasing the data or take it to the apple store.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have followed your instructions twice. that was stated in the opening questions before being connected with you.

Sorry it was not clear to me that you followed all of the exact instructions I gave you. What I will do now is opt/out and see if anyone else has any other ideas, you will receive an email if someone has something else to try.

Thanks

Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 1 year ago
John T. F., Mac Druid

to clarify, did you not normally back up this iPad in any way via iTunes or iCloud?

Thanks,

John T. F., Mac Druid