Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My macbook pro will not load past 50% : 2010 / 2011 running

Customer Question

My macbook pro will not load past 50%
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 2010 / 2011 running El Captain
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: its was in hibernate mode, i opened the lid and nothing happened. so pressed the power button a few times and no reaction. in the end i press and held the power button to reboot, now it reboots as me for my password ***** the loader then does not go past 50%. also I can see thin blue lines on the screen - very faint
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

We may need to try a couple of repairs, and maybe more depending on how the mac behaves after these steps.

First

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Will the mac start now?

If not, then shut down again.. Hold down the left shift key.. And then start the mac again while holding down the left shift key.

Will it start now in safe mode? If so, send a reply and let me know as we have a few more repairs we should do.

If it doesnt start in safe mode, also send a reply so we can discuss other steps as needed.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dustin,I have tried both from reading forums and the mac does start and asks for my password, once i enter that it starts to load but does not go pass 50%hiren
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood Hiren.

Lets try this next..

Start the computer holding the command and S key

T hen, in the terminal window type this command

fsck -fy

Hit enter.. run that command 3 or 4 times till it stops showing errors.

Then, lets try to start holding down the left shift key. What happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried command + S and it comes up with a white screen, same when trying to access the recovery screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also to add, the top of the mac near the screen (the black hinge and metal) are both very hot and the faint blue lines are still on the screen
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

The white screen.. You should be able to type in it.. ( the command S screen )

Can you type in it?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ahhh.. The heat issue is a serious problem.. we do not and cannot keep working on the mac if its over heating.. As we could fry internal components from the heat alone.

Id shut the mac off, unplug it, and let it cool down. If you have a large fan put the mac in front of it.

Once its cool, we can continue.

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its cooled down back to normal - lets continue as i feel the mainboard or the GPU may have had it - i cannot access any of the recovery menus.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Si nce you are mentioning heat issues.. Lets try the following as well

If the battery is nonremovable

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
  3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac

If the battery is removable

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the Mac.
  3. Remove the battery. (Learn about removing the battery in MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.)
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the Mac.

The LED on MagSafe power adapters might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok after trying to boot with the shift key - the now loads but the screen is complete white.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Did you try the commands I just sent you?

Did we also complete the fsyk -fy command in single user mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see anywhere to type when it does boot up, the screen is completely white no matter what i do
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

So with command S mode.. completely white?

Did you try this reset?

If the battery is nonremovable

1. Shut down the Mac.

If the battery is removable

1. Shut down the Mac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have carried out all the instructions you have provided and the system comes up with a white screen. like i mentioned in the first post, if i look at the screen i can see faint blue lines in the white screen
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

I know some of this seems repititious.. But repition is the key.. Run repair commands, and repeat boot attempts.

What happens now if you press and hold command option R at boot?

Or press and hold the alt, or option key at boot?

Please check each and report back.. Thank you

Dustin S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pressing and holding cmd + r = takes long time to start with apple logo then goes to an all white screen.
pressing and holding alt = shows the option for HD and the ability to chose network. There is no recovery partition for some reason, and when i click on HD it asks for password ***** then stops half way like before
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like the hard drive drive tables have been corrupted.

Its t ime to replace the hard drive.. http://amzn.to/1sxHvFR

And then reinstall the OS on the new drive..

Dustin S.