Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I'm trying to fix a different mac than the one i'm typing

Customer Question

I'm trying to fix a different mac than the one i'm typing on. The keyboard will only type upper caps. cap lock is not on. Tried the fn key also doesn't work.
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And have you had problems with this keyboard in the past?
Customer: Its a macbook quite old. white model. don't know model. Multiple problems. Time clock set to 2001 can't connect on wifi coz I can't key in the password ***** its all caps. Started up in safe mode. Hot keys option, command P and R to open on normal mode and now aced with reinstalling OSX Lion. It's checking eliiobility but taking ages
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Think I covered all above
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To be clear. Youre currently in the process of using the command R recovery feature to reinstall the OSX?

Or, did you get stuck trying to reinstall the OSX because you cant key in the wifi password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't key in the password ***** no wifi. I have the computer wired to router but no idea if it is connected to internet or not. Cant see any indication. I selected to reinstall the OS at moment the wheel is spinning and it says Loading installation Information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure how this site works. Does your reply come below mine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried option, command P R key holddown on start up to get out of safe mode. Clock stuck in 2001 so was trying to put in my admin password ***** fix it but could get my password ***** due to only typing in caps.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ahh, it sounds like you may be on the right path.. However, t here will come a point when it will ask you to type in the password ***** your apple ID, and you may get stuck at that point.

The OSX internet recovery process can take some time. And you are definitely connected to the internet or it would have immediately errored when you tried to start the recovery.

If you still cant type in the password ***** complete the recovery, you may need to get a cheap wired keyboard similar to this so you can properly type in your passwords in order to login or finish the recovery in order to repair the issue with the built in keyboard or wireless keyboard you are currently using. Heres an example of a low cost compatible wired keyboard. http://amzn.to/1U3SjV5

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry was interrupted with a skype call. Ok will try connecting an external keyboard see if that helps. thanks.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing, let me know if that helps, as we may still need to perform more repairs even if it does help

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hi, did you still need help with this issue?

Dustin S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for following up. I have yet to get an external keyboard to try the next step. Hopefully will get this done tomorrow.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood, and as a reminder amazon does offer 2 day shipping on their mac compatible keyboards.

http://amzn.to/1U3SjV5

Keep me posted.

D.S