Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a macbook. (1) I get a rainbow pinwheel approximately

Customer Question

HI, My name is***** have a macbook. (1) I get a rainbow pinwheel approximately every 3-4-minutes. I shut down this computer and sometimes the pinwheels will take 6 minutes. (2) This computer in telling me that I need to update my browser (?) When I click on the apple icon it says no update available. It takes approximately 15-25 seconds for it to search for what ever I'm searching for. also when I trying to scroll up or down it doesn't work to well, Ill scroll down and it goes to the bottom of the page instead of just slowly scrolling down (also when I sroll up) Serial # *****
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The spinning wheel indicates that your Mac is having difficulty reading and writing the files from and to the hard drive properly. Since it is a 2008 Macbook, it is possible that the hard drive is failing. So first I want you to backup all your files ASAP to an external hard drive before it completely fails.

Then please do the following steps and see if it improves anything. Remember, troubleshooting on a failing hard drive may cause it to stop working. So make sure you backup all your files before start troubleshooting.

First run Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time.Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and-fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return.

Note down the any error you message you get and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I got irritated bt the add on while waiting for your reply... I an willing to pay just not on blind faith. So howdo we g do what you said? You can take over my computer @$39
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand. Did you try the instructions I sent you ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It seems like the payment for remote support has failed. May be your bank or card has blocked it. So I will send you instructions in here to fix the problem.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time.Then type the following commands when it boot into black screen with white letters...

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. This will do some repairs. When it finishes type reboot and hit return.

Let me know once you did that, so we can move to next step

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Said macintosh is ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Said macintosh HD is ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The system files are OK, but that doesn't mean the physical condition of hard drive is OK. Type reboot and press return

Then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. I want you to test your Mac running in Safe Mode and see if you get the spinning wheel there.

If you have not backed up your important files already, then I'd recommend to get an USB flash/thumb or hard drive and backup them ASAP