Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Lost a word file. el capitan JA: Fortunately, the tech

Customer Question
lost a word file. el...
lost a word file. el capitan
JA: Fortunately, the tech wizards we work with know El Capitan well, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the word crashed, froze and file not saved
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not that i can think if
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello where is my answer?
5/21/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 1 year ago
Mike, Mac Medic
You haven't been answered because you will not like the answer. If you never saved the file and named it there is no way to recover it. Sorry. Don't waste any more time start over. Even Text Edit the app that comes free with your Mac will recover files that you started but haven't saved so blame Microsoft. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my file was saved at 7:17. i worked on it for an hour then the system crashed
OK if you saved it then open Word and it should automatically open the recovered version, it will be called that. If not go to Word / Preferences / Save is it set to save auto recovery info every 10 minutes?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was, for 10 minutes. but the newer version i was working i is not therewhere is the outlook temp folder
I assume you mean Word temp file? It is in the same folder as your file there won't be any way to get it back if it did not open with the recovery info.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is in outlook temp folder, not sure where in el capitan. on the other OS X is it was under go/ library/ cache/temp
there is but that has nothing to do with a file you were working on in Word that is for Outlook.... two different applications...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i lost files before and they went there. the file must be here some where
What system version are you running and what version of Office?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
mac el capitan 10.11.4outlook 15.17
Why are you giving me Outlook aren't you working in Word?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
word is 15.17. part of the ms outlook package for mac
FYI it's Office for Mac, Outlook is an app int the Office package, just to be clear... OK for Word 15:Select the Finder the first icon in the Dock then Go at the top of the screen Go to Folder and paste the line below then hit Return that will open the AutoRecovery folder: ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery/
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought you made my day but.....Word can't open the file because the file format does not match the file extension.
(AutoRecovery save of Section E- Global …)
that's it sorry. You can right click and go to Open with and try to open with another app like TextEdit.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did that and it came up chinese
Unfortunately it is not a complete AutoRecovery file try dragging it out to the Desktop then open Word and go to Open and navigate to that file...
Hold Option and drag
You want to leave a version in that folder then restart and open Word it might see it now.
That's all I have good luck. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!
Oh sorry quit Word open the Terminal in Applications / Utilities then copy and paste the line below and hit Return then try Word.rm ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Container.plist
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can i use text edit to read in english
It's not Chinese unless you are working in Chinese.... that is the data of the Word file.Quit Word open the Terminal in Applications / Utilities then copy and paste the line below and hit Return then try Word. It may see the AutoRecovery Info nowrm ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Container.plist
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
rm ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Container.plistthis full line ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
with the rm?
If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!
Mike, Mac Medic