Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Did something trying to clean my 10.5.1 macBook. Now I only

Customer Question
get a circle slash...
Did something trying to clean my 10.5.1 macBook. Now I only get a circle slash
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
5/21/2016
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Do you have the original OSX install disk?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have Leopard 10
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm delivering a baby and not home with my computer.
Thank you for that information. Unfortunately, I will be unable to assist you if you are not with your computer. I will "opt out" and allow another expert to pick this up as I may not be available when you are with the computer. Have a great day!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Williams,
 replied 1 year ago
Justin Williams
Unfortunately your circle-slash means the a critical boot file is damaged or missing. You are going to need to find/acquire your Leopard 10.5 disc and do a reinstall by doing the following: Insert a Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard installation disc into your optical drive.Hold down the “option” key and restart the computer to bring up the boot option menu.To begin the installation, click the install disc icon on the boot option menu.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try that as soon as I get home. I'm at the hospital operating on a patient.
 replied 1 year ago
Keep in mind, this could also be caused by a failing hard drive. If you continue to have problems or the Leopard install does not see your hard drive, then there is a very good chance this is the case; especially if your machine is older from the 10.5 era. Take care of your patient, just let me know if this information was helpful at your convenience.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am now home of you want to call
 replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately if you don't have any OSX installation discs, I can't help you much over the phone. I found an ebay auction for the discs for $15 or so. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbook-OS-X-10-5-Leopard-English-MAC-Install-DVD-2z691-DISK-VER-1-0-/282045100067?hash=item41ab32b023:g:cocAAOSw6kxXHsC1Pop that in and follow my directions from earlier will get you back to a working state.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am installing the OS10 now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is 93% complete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Installing on Macintosh HD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Says it will take about 1 hour
 replied 1 year ago
Ok, great. Let me know how it works out for you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's running. Now how do I find the server?
 replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry, what server are you referring to?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just installed OS10. It had lost all previous programs and documents, I believe. When I tried to go to the Internet, I was told it couldn't find the server
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now updating. This will take a while
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm ready. Now I need to connect to the Internet
 replied 1 year ago
You need to click on the airport icon in the upper right hand corner and connect to your wifi. I am heading out for a few hours and will be back later if we can continue working on it then?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That worked. Thanks. I'll work with it to see what else I need
 replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** turns out you are in good shape and you have been satisfied with my help; please don't forget to leave me positive feedback!
Justin Williams
Justin Williams
Justin Williams