Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

When I power up my iMac desktop, I get a gray screen

Customer Question

Hi ... When I power up my iMac desktop, I get a gray screen with a slash. Suggestions on next steps?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When j power up the iMac desktop, I get a gray screen with the cycle slash. I understand this means the op system can't be located. Can I do something?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. The circle with slash indicates that either the system files are corrupted or there is an issue with the hard drive. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds.Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen.From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission. If you are using latest Mac OS X El Capitan, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked. Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Does it boot into desktop ? Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik and thanks -- well, I held the power off button down for 10 seconds and the screen came on with the circle. I tried the command r. Now I have a black screen. I can't power it on.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Unplug it from Power. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key for 20 seconds and this will boot into startup manager. Do you see Macintosh HD or your hard drive there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi -- this will take me a minute. I have muscular dystrophy. I will keep you posted.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Take your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - I see two boxes with pictures of hard drives - one says MacintoshHD and the other says Recovery10.-0.3
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Select Macintosh HD and press return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got the Apple logo
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Let it boot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got a circle with the slash
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Let's run Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters... /sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and-fy) If you can't run/sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the black screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Type the following and press return /sbin/fsck -fy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't let me type on the black screen . There is a mesaage .Errror loading kernel cache (0x12)
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That means it can't access the hard drive. Restart to start up manager again (Option at restart). This time select Recovery HD and press return. Does it boot into OS X utilities screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't accept anything typed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check ... Thanks for hanging in there with me.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No problem. We know this is an issue with the hard drive. We're trying to figure out whether it is hardware or software related. Other components like processor, RAM etc are fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay - it shows an apple on the screen the it changed to the circle and slash
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Lets check internet recovery now. Turn it off completey. Turn it back and immediately hold down Command, Option and R for 20 seconds. Does it boot into any screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get an apple
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And now a slash circle
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid the hard drive has failed. Lets do one more thing. Turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and V for a few seconds. This will boot into verbose mode and run some test. Let me know what does it return ? Also reset the SMC (System Management Controller) and PRAM of your Mac. Shut down the computer.Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.Wait 20 secondsAttach the power cord.Wait five seconds,then press the power button to turn on the computer. If that didn't work,then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below; Shut down your MacRestart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same timeHold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A couple of screens flashed with whit writing.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did it restart then ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it didnt
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I mean did it restart back to circle slash screen ? or got stuck at that black screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stuck on the black screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
And what does the last line indicate ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Controller;;dataLinkLayer-fit tach Complete(): adding AppleEFIVRAM notification
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm very sorry. I'm afraid this is an hardware issue. I'm really sorry I couldn't solve your problem. We've tried all troubleshooting steps so far and this is something we can't fix online. You need to take your Mac to the Apple Store to get it repaired or have the hard drive replaced. Hard drive starts from $40 (excluding labor charge). You can make an appointment to the nearest Apple Store from here --> http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ Sorry I couldn't solve your problem..If you have any questions, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ashtik?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my answer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excuse me ... Ashik
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank
You!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I replied, but it seems like you didn't get it. Here is it again I'm very sorry. I'm afraid this is an hardware issue. I'm really sorry I couldn't solve your problem. We've tried all troubleshooting steps so far and this is something we can't fix online. You need to take your Mac to the Apple Store to get it repaired or have the hard drive replaced. Hard drive starts from $40 (excluding labor charge). You can make an appointment to the nearest Apple Store from here --> http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ Sorry I couldn't solve your problem..If you have any questions, please let me know.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. And I'm sorry I couldn't solve your problem. I'd suggest you to do a PRAM reset, then try to boot into OS X recovery by holding down Command and R or Command, Option and R at start up (like you tried before). If you can atleast get to OS X Utilities screen, then we can attempt to repair the hard drive from there. Let me know if you can get to that screen.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Have a great day,Ashik