Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I need to wipe my damaged phone in order to return to

Customer Question
asurion but do not remember...
I need to wipe my damaged phone in order to return to asurion but do not remember pass code. I am unable to use the reset on the old phone.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
5/5/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. If it is passcode protected, then you don't have to wipe it. There is no way to access the contents of the iPhone without the passcode. If anyone enter incorrect passcode, then it will be disabled and it has to be restored from iTunes on your computer. Restoring will delete everything from it. If you still would like to wipe it out, then you have to do it from your computer or you can erase it from iCloud. I will send you instructions.
You can force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it(Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to bypass the passcode screen and get it restored) Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode. First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.Open iTunes application on your computer.On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.Click OK or Restore Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it. Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining) Another option is, you can erase it from iCloud. This will only work if iCloud is enabled on your iPhone and if it is connected to internet. If you have iCloud enabled on it and also if your iPhone is connected to WiFi/internet, then you can do the erase (restore) from iCloud - so you don't have to go through the restore steps. On your computer, go to www.icloud.com Login to your iCloud/Apple account. Click Find My iPhone. Select your iPhone under All Devices. Click Erase button and it will be erased (if it is connected to WiFi network). If that didn't work, then you have to restore it from iTunes application on your computer.
As long as it is passcode protected, you can send it in without resetting/resetting it. The iPhone can't be opened without a passcode and if someone enter incorrect passcode for several times, it will be disabled and then the person has to restore it from iTunes. These are highly secure devices. It will not even accept any more passcode if it is disabled. So you can disable it yourself by entering incorrect passcode multiple times. Once it is disabled, it is mandatory to factory reset it from iTunes on computer inorder to use it again
Ashik, Mac Technician