John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I shut down my iMac by holding the power button down -

Customer Question

Hi, I shut down my iMac by holding the power button down - now it won't reboot - a black screen comes up - no apple icon??
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, do you hear the chime when it first starts? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - nothing happens
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** Mac's power cord. Wait a minimum of fifteen seconds. Attach the Mac's power cord. Wait at least five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the Mac back on. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do that now...
Still nothing...same thing - when I turn it on, the screen just goes a slightly lighter shade of black
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try this... Restart the Mac immediately , press and hold the following keys; COMMAND, OPTION, P, R Hold them until you hopefully hear the chime twice and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally. If you do not hear the sound, release them after approx 10 seconds. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - still the same
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, did you ever hear the chime? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - no sound - nothing happens. I push the power button and the screen just goes to a slightly lighter shade - then nothing - where as normally the apple icon comes up and then the sound
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, was there a particular reason why you shut down the iMac originally? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was emptying some trash - it was stuck - so I stopped that but the little screen that comes up saying it was empyting wouldn't go away. I couldn't add to it - I couldn't empty the trash again because it came up saying it is already emptying.
I tried to 'restart' but it wouldn't saying that there are some applications open - I tried to close everything but it seemed stuck - so I held down the power button to reboot it.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you happen to now which version of OS X you have installed? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah no sorry
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, what is the age of the iMac? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 2 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the most
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the following: Shutdown your Mac. Restart and, immediately, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears. (No more than 30 seconds) Then, select the “Recovery" volume. (Alternative: If the above doesn’t work… Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPTION.) Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL) Choose Disk Utility from the available options. In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD"). Then, Click "Repair Disk" If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK. Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions" Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display. Then, restart your Mac and hopefully boot back into your normal Desktop. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of those options worked - nothing happens
I've tried turning the power on while holding all of those buttons down - each option - but its not working
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
To clarify, you are turning it on and then holding down the keys requested, correct - you should not be holding the power button and those keys at the same time at any point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried it both ways.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok because holding them incorrectly like that may have other unintended consequences. What do you currently have connected to your iMac? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry.
I have 3 external hard drives connected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hang on - I just disconnected the hard drives and did the COMMAND + ALT + R and something has come up - a world is spinning and a progress bar
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, please disconnect everything from the iMac entirely Wait 30 seconds and then connect ONLY the power cord, keyboard and mouse. Wait at least five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the Mac back on. John
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL) Choose Disk Utility from the available options. In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD"). Then, Click "Repair Disk" If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK. Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions" Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display. Then, restart your Mac and hopefully boot back into your normal Desktop. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was starting to sweat there..................it's going through - it has come up saying Machintosh HD appears to be OK - but the Repair Disk Permissions button is grey - I can't select it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe it's still doing something ...............the last thing that has come up under the details is "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required" - but there is no indication that it is 'doing something'.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, the Repair Disk Permissions should be available to you. Down at the bottom of the screen does it give you info on the amount of drive space free, used, etc... John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not available - Capacity is 250GB Available is 35.31GB (hence my reason for trashing stuff) Used 214.83GB
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok,It's possible if you are running a newer version of OS X than the Internet Recovery recognizes that it may remain grey. Restart the Mac and allow it to boot normally. If it returns do the desktop without issue, then reconnect each external drive one at a time. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to check - to restart I am just holding down the power button?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually it's ok I went to the Apple icon up the top- it's rebooted - everything has come back - PHEW - thank you.
Is there anything I should do from here?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
No, restart the Mac as normal. - Click the Apple menu and choose Restart. If all the drives can reconnect without issue then you should be ok at this point. John