Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I shut down my iMac by holding the power button down -

Customer Question
Hi, I shut down my...
Hi, I shut down my iMac by holding the power button down - now it won't reboot - a black screen comes up - no apple icon??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/2/2016
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 1 year ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hi, do you hear the chime when it first starts? John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No - nothing happens
Thanks, ***** ***** Mac's power cord. Wait a minimum of fifteen seconds. Attach the Mac's power cord. Wait at least five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the Mac back on. John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do that now...
Still nothing...same thing - when I turn it on, the screen just goes a slightly lighter shade of black
Ok, try this... Restart the Mac immediately , press and hold the following keys; COMMAND, OPTION, P, R Hold them until you hopefully hear the chime twice and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally. If you do not hear the sound, release them after approx 10 seconds. John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No - still the same
Ok, did you ever hear the chime? John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No - no sound - nothing happens. I push the power button and the screen just goes to a slightly lighter shade - then nothing - where as normally the apple icon comes up and then the sound
Ok, was there a particular reason why you shut down the iMac originally? John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was emptying some trash - it was stuck - so I stopped that but the little screen that comes up saying it was empyting wouldn't go away. I couldn't add to it - I couldn't empty the trash again because it came up saying it is already emptying.
I tried to 'restart' but it wouldn't saying that there are some applications open - I tried to close everything but it seemed stuck - so I held down the power button to reboot it.
Ok, do you happen to now which version of OS X you have installed? John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ah no sorry
Alright, what is the age of the iMac? John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 2 years
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At the most
Thanks, ***** ***** the following: Shutdown your Mac. Restart and, immediately, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears. (No more than 30 seconds) Then, select the “Recovery" volume. (Alternative: If the above doesn’t work… Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPTION.) Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL) Choose Disk Utility from the available options. In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD"). Then, Click "Repair Disk" If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK. Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions" Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display. Then, restart your Mac and hopefully boot back into your normal Desktop. John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
None of those options worked - nothing happens
I've tried turning the power on while holding all of those buttons down - each option - but its not working
To clarify, you are turning it on and then holding down the keys requested, correct - you should not be holding the power button and those keys at the same time at any point.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried it both ways.
Ok because holding them incorrectly like that may have other unintended consequences. What do you currently have connected to your iMac? John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok sorry.
I have 3 external hard drives connected
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hang on - I just disconnected the hard drives and did the COMMAND + ALT + R and something has come up - a world is spinning and a progress bar
Alright, please disconnect everything from the iMac entirely Wait 30 seconds and then connect ONLY the power cord, keyboard and mouse. Wait at least five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the Mac back on. John
Ok, Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL) Choose Disk Utility from the available options. In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD"). Then, Click "Repair Disk" If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK. Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions" Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display. Then, restart your Mac and hopefully boot back into your normal Desktop. John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was starting to sweat there..................it's going through - it has come up saying Machintosh HD appears to be OK - but the Repair Disk Permissions button is grey - I can't select it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe it's still doing something ...............the last thing that has come up under the details is "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required" - but there is no indication that it is 'doing something'.
Alright, the Repair Disk Permissions should be available to you. Down at the bottom of the screen does it give you info on the amount of drive space free, used, etc... John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not available - Capacity is 250GB Available is 35.31GB (hence my reason for trashing stuff) Used 214.83GB
Ok,It's possible if you are running a newer version of OS X than the Internet Recovery recognizes that it may remain grey. Restart the Mac and allow it to boot normally. If it returns do the desktop without issue, then reconnect each external drive one at a time. John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just to check - to restart I am just holding down the power button?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually it's ok I went to the Apple icon up the top- it's rebooted - everything has come back - PHEW - thank you.
Is there anything I should do from here?
No, restart the Mac as normal. - Click the Apple menu and choose Restart. If all the drives can reconnect without issue then you should be ok at this point. John
John T. F., Mac Druid