Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I'm using an IPad Pro. I've selected rent few movies

Customer Question

Hi, I'm using an IPad Pro. I've selected rent for a few movies from ITunes Store to download onto the IPad to take on holiday. They are taking forever to download and I want to cancel the download. Can't seem to do that. Help?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: Nah that's about it. Cheers.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. First we can reset your iPad and see if it works or not. Press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot. Then go to Settings and turn on Airplane mode. This will stop internet from your iPad. After a few minutes, the download process will be interrupted. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store. Turn off Automatic downloads for movies in there. Then tap your Apple ID at top and tap Sign out. Now you can turn off Airplane mode to get internet back and the movies will not be downloaded. Also open Movies app and if you see the Movies there, then tap and hold down (or swipe left or right) on the movie and tap Delete. Or tap Edit button if you see there and delete the Movies. Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That seemed to work - for a period at least.....but once I signed back in and was re-connected to wi-fi, they are still showing in the Movies App under downloads and they resumed downloading. I'll repeat it all again and wait longer this time in the airplane mode to make sure the download is cancelled. stay tuned.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store. Turn off Automatic downloads for movies in there. Then open Movies app and if you see the Movies there, then tap and hold down (or swipe left or right) on the movie and tap Delete. Or tap Edit button if you see there and delete the Movies. Now open iTunes app. Tap Downloads (or More > Downloads). Pause the download from there and can you delete them now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nah...they're still in the queue for downloading and they resume once i log back in. I need to delete them from the queue somehow.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you try my last suggestions ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store. Turn off Automatic downloads for all there. Now open iTunes app. Tap Downloads (or More > Downloads). Are you able to pause the downloads there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thanks I did do that. The issue seems to be that the whilst they are gone from Movie App, the Ituns store still has them queued up. they just resume downloading, they are listed under downloads in the tool bar at the bottom of the itunes store
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The only way to delete the download queue is from iTunes Store > Downloads.In iTunes Store > Downloads and tap Pause ? Do they pause the download ? When you pause it, it will not automatically start the download unless you resume it. After pausing, tap the Edit button and does it allow you to remove it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nah, the downloads section won't let me pause, there is a button for that and an edit button too - but they are not responding as one would expect. they do nothing, tapping them gets no response, its as thought they are frozen whilst the download occurs.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Turn on Airplane mode and does it respond now ? If it still not working, then they have to be stopped on server side. For that you need to contact iTunes Support. Only Apple can access the server side and cancel it for you. To contact iTunes Support, goto this link --> https://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/Click Get Help under Talk to Us. Click iTunes & Apple Music. Click iTunes Store.Click Connecting and Downloading. Click Downloads from iTunes Store interrupted or incomplete.Click Schedule a Call and they will call you or click Talk to Apple Support Now. Then you will have to answer some security questions and they will remove the downloads from their side. So your iPad will not see them under Queue. They will also initiate refund since you have not downloaded them to your ipad. Let me know how it goes please