Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I;m using iMovie 10.0.4 and have some static parts

Customer Question

I'm using iMovie 10.0.4 and have some static parts in my audio clips. How can I use Audacity to remove this problem? I seem to be having trouble copy and pasting from iMovie into Audacity. Thanks for any help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you try:In the Project browser, double-click the video clip or audio clip (the colored bar that represents a voiceover, a sound effect, or music you’ve added to a clip, shown below) you want to modify.Image of green and purple audio barsClick Audio at the top of the inspector that opens.Select the “Reduce background noise by” checkbox in the Enhance section of the inspector, and then drag the slider to set a percentage of noise reduction.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Or you can detach the audio then copy and paste it in a new project and do a custom QT export and export "Sound to AIFF file". Then open that file with Audacity
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike, thanks for the response. How do you export, though?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jubCKtGKBCo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have iMovie 10.0.4, however, and I'm not seeing those same options when I go to export audio.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That is iMovie 10
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to File / Share / File then you will see that window
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I pull up that window, there is no option for audio only. Just tags and size.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You don't see Format:?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there is no format drop down menu.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information: • The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??) • Processor • Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Version 10.9.5
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I assume iMovie is up to date with the version of Mavericks? Why don't you just upgrade to El Capitan then you can get iMovie 10.1.1?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I don't have that exact version of iMovie here but it should still have the same options. I can remote connect and look...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I could do that. I wouldn't lose any information or data, however, would I? It's my work computer, so I'm just worried about losing any vital information that I might need for my job. Would my iMovie projects transfer over?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You should run some tests first and have a full backup.. You should be able to open the clip with Quicktime player and then export Audio only:http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-export-a-video-or-audio-file-in-quicktime--mac-48779