Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I can't get wi-fi to turn on in network settings. The button

Customer Question
to turn it on is...
I can't get wi-fi to turn on in network settings. The button to turn it on is there but when I click it, nothing happens.This is a sudden problem. Haven't had this problem ever.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Cannot get wi-fi turned on in settings for Mac
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know Apple products inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for this. Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: No, thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
4/25/2016
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It woudl be my pleasure to help you with this. When you go to system preference and click on click on network is there a lock in the bottom right that says Click the lock to make changes? If so, please click on it, and then try to click Turn Wifi On. Try that and let me know the results please.
If that doesn't work. please restart the Mac. If it still doesn't work, please let me know what version of OSX is on your machine, so I can provide detailed troubleshooting information that is specific to your version of OSX. If you're not sure, From the Apple Menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X".
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No lock icon. I tried PRAm reset but no luck. I'm using 10.11.3. Haven't had this problem before. Suddenly cropped up.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By the way, wifi is working on my wife's Mac.
There is an update available to 10.11.4 but unless it is a MACbook PRO with an ethernet port that won't help. Have you tried resetting the SMC?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes. Just tried smc reset. Let me try again.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No luck.
ok, what kind of Antivirus are you using? Norton, perhaps?For that or any other firewall and antivirus protection you have on your machine, try disabling the firewall connection and application blocking.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
None that I'm aware of
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And Firewall is turned off.
You're a step ahead of me :) Gve me just a moment to look into more advanced options. I'm not sure I have a lot of faith in this method, but you never know....while I'm researching our options, please try restarting in safe mode. See if you can turn it on then.To load your Mac in Safe Mode, press and hold the Shift key while it boots. You can stop holding the Shift key when you see an Apple logo and progress bar. To leave Safe Mode, just reboot your Mac without holding the Shift key.
If that doesn't work let's try to reset the PRAM and the SMC reset once more. I have read of several instances in which this fixed similar issues. Just to be sure this is a Macbook laptop with a non-removable battery. Correct?To Reset PRAMShut down the computer.Press the power button.Before the grey screen appears, press the Command, Option, P, and R keys at the same time.Hold the keys until your computer restarts and you hear the startup sound a second time.Release the keys.To Reset SMSShut down the computer.Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MacBook Pro early 2011
OK. It's unibody, non removable battery. Please let me know if none of these methods work so I can "opt out" and see if another expert might have other ideas. Short of a reinstall of the OS I am out of ideas. If one of these methods does help, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No luck. But thanks for trying!
You're welcome. I'll opt out now. When another expert picks this up you'll receive an email. They se'll the entire conversation so they'll now what we've already tried. Good luck!
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 1 year ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Go to Macintosh HD / Library / Preferences drag SystemConfiguration folder to the trash then restart and then go to System Preferences / Network and try to reconnect
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There doesn't seem to be any system configuration folder in preferences.
Are you sure you are looking in the right folder it is there. Can you connect using the Ethernet? If so I can remote connect.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Found it. When I try to trash it, I get a window: Can't be modified or deleted because it's required by OS X
Ok try to open it and trash just the contents
Then restart go to System Preferences /Network select the WiFi then click on the minus sign to remove it. Then click on plus sign to add it back.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Was able to trash everything but Boot.plist
OK great then go to System Preferences /Network select the WiFi then click on the minus sign to remove it. Then restart go back to Network click on plus sign to add WiFi back.
OK restart then click on the plus sign and add WiFi back
OK I was afraid of that. Go to Apple Logo to About this Mac then select System Report a window will open select WiFi on the left under Network then copy all the text on the right and paste it here.
OK it is not seeing your WiFi hardware at all which probably means it has failed. There is a chance it could also be software related the only way to check is to reinstall your system software.Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run. If that is ok quit the Disk Utility and select Reinstall Mac OS X.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thanks!
Let me know
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do. Btw my wife's Mac connects ok.
Right a WiFi hardware or software failure would only affect one computer the other Mac would be unaffected there is nothing wrong with your WiFi network it is the WiFi hardware on that particular computer that is the problem. You will have to connect it by Ethernet to try and reinstall the system.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't reinstall b/c I have no access to Internet, obviously. And I don't have a disk. May have to go to Apple to have them install.
Ethernet doesn't work either?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Oh then you will need a system install USB stick but it sounds like your logic board is bad at this point.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great. Always good to hear! 😩
If you boot while holding the Option key you will get to a screen that shows "Network" as well as your boot partitions... you can try to connect that way.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.
Let me know. Please remember that the experts here cannot fix failed hardware. We guarantee a correct ANSWER, even if that answer determines the product needs to be physically repaired. No one likes to hear they need to spend more money to fix the problem but at least you now know what needs to be done and you can make an informed decision.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Was able to get Ethernet going. Reinstalling now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for all your help.
OK great!! I was writing how to use Target Disk mode to do it using the other Mac but that is even better! I assume you checked the drive before you started that...
Mike, Mac Medic