Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

On my Mac book pro, once I enter my password ***** bar at the

Customer Question
bottom starts to load and...
On my Mac book pro, once I enter my password ***** bar at the bottom starts to load and halfway through the computer shuts down.
JA: Apple makes such lovely gadgets but they're still computers underneath. That's where the Mac Technician comes in really handy. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The computer completely shuts down. I believe I took a upgrade, which made me restart and I have had this issue since then
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Upgrade, I believe, was for El Captain or something like that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
4/25/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive. Since you said it happened after upgrade, then it is possible that the system files are corrupted. The best options is reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem unless it is hardware related. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X. If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says 'Error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again'. I tried again and got same message
Lets run Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters... /sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy) If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return. Let me know once you did that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Neither of those worked either. Says the volume Mac HD could not be verified completely
There is something wrong the hard drive. Boot into OS X Utilities screen again, then this time click Disk Utility. Run First Aid and tell me what it returns
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. Select Disk Utility. Select your hard disk in left column. Click First Aid and run it. Let me know it shows any errors
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Operation successful is what the last line under details said
Do you have the backup of your files ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It said no time backup was available
Close Disk Utility. Click Reinstall OS X again and does it move any further ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Error again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I delete the old OS from one of these screens and then install?
Before that, lets try a few more troubleshooting steps. First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM Shut down your MacRestart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same timeHold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 15 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Does it boot into Safe mode ? Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, now it shows an O and a line through it
There are two causes for this problem. Either the partition of the hard drive is corrupted or the hard drive itself is failing. That is why you are unable to reinstall OS X. All other components like processor, logic board, RAM etc are fine. You have four options in here. First is, buy Disk Warrior (powerful disk utility application) and try to repair your hard disk or recover your files with it. If it is unable to fix the hard drive, then it will at least help you to recover the files that are readable and save them to an external drive. Get it from here : http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/ Disk Warrior is costly. If you don't want to recover any files, then you don't have to buy Disk Warrior. It is not worth it if you don't have any important files/applications. Disk Warrior will not fix it if the hard drive is failing. Second is, if you have another Mac and a Thunderbolt/Firewire cable, then you can setup Target Disk Mode and this will allow you to mount the hard drive of this Mac to that like an external hard drive and you will be able to back up your files --> https://support.apple.com/kb/ph10725?locale=en_US (After backing up, you can reinstall the OS X after erasing the drive) Third is, you can erase the hard drive and try to install a fresh version of Mac OS X in it. This will erase everything from your hard disk unfortunately. Boot into the Mac OS X Utilities screen just like you did before. In there, select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and erase it. Then close Disk Utility and continue installation. This is the quickest solution if you don't mind losing the files in it. This also will not work if the hard drive is failing. Final option is, you can take the Mac to the Apple Store. They will recover the files using their tools like Disk Warrior or Target Disk Mode and then reinstall Mac OS X for you or replace the hard drive. Please let me know what you think.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm erasing and then re-installing. Most of the important stuff I have on an external hard drive. About 27 min. Remaining on install. Anything I need to do after its done installing?
If this is a partition issue, then erase and install will work. Once it is finished, you just need to setup it and you can restore your files from the hard drive.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for all the help!! I'll let you know if anything else funny happens, but looks like the install is and should work. Thanks again!!
You're most welcome. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me any time you want. Good Luck
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will, I used some of your other advice to trouble shoot first. You are extremely helpful.
Thank you
Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.Have a great day,Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician