Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I updated and now it won't accept any passwords I remember.

Customer Question

I updated and now it won't accept any passwords I remember. I never had it locked so I've forgotten. how do I get it to open
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try this:Plug in your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to your Mac or Windows PC.Make sure iTunes is running.Turn Off your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad if it isn't already.Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side (iPhone 6 or later) or top (all other iPhones, iPods, and iPads) of the device for 3 seconds.Swipe the slide to power off slider to the right.Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side (iPhone 6 or later) or top (all other iPhones, iPods, and iPads) of your device for 3 seconds.Press and hold down the Home button on the front of your device while still holding down the On/Off button.Keep holding both buttons down for 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)Let go of the On/Off Button but keep holding the Home button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plug into iTunes" screen, then you've held it too long and will need to start again.)If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad should now be in DFU mode.At this point, iTunes should show you an alert saying it's detected your iPad, and will allow it to be restored.