Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I purchased an Ipod5 touch on ebay

Customer Question
and unable to find out...
I purchased an Ipod5 touch on ebay and unable to find out who the old owner was as it is locked and unusable. Can you help me unlock this ipod?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/6/2016
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Hi there! My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. It is a little but involved but it can definitely be done. Please give me just a moment to provide detailed instructions.
1. Connect the device to your computer using the USB cable.2. Press and hold the “Sleep/Wake” and “Home” on your iOS device until it resets.3. When the Apple logo appears release “Sleep/Wake“, but continue to hold the “Home” button until you see the prompt to connect the device to iTunes appear on the screen. The screen will have a USB connector pointing to an iTunes logo.4. Open iTunes if it doesn’t start automatically. A message should appear on the PC that says “There is a problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored”. NOTE: If yo do not see this message then you did not properly complete steps 2 and 3. You will need to go back to the,m. It can be a little tricky to get this part right. 5. Select “Restore” button on the “Summary” screen.6. When prompted, select “Restore and Update“. This will restore the device to factory default settings.7. Follow the menus to complete the restore. It usually takes about 10 minutes for the process to complete. Be sure to leave the device connected to the computer with iTunes.If the information that I have provided has helped, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get as far as Activate iPod, from there it wants a apple ID and pass word, aa I said I do not know the password ***** Apple ID of the old owner and unable to find them.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you receive my last question?
If you follow the instructions above, you will not need a user id and password ***** you've restored it to factory and it ready for yo uto setup with YOUR id and password. Please pay special attention to steps 2,3 and 4. They are key to getting this process to work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long does this recovery mode take. It has posted my serial number and says it downloading software update, is this a time consuming task?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It returned to activate ipod, will not take my ID or password.
Please give me just a moment to research further.
Please check to see if you are using the latest version of itunes.Open iTunes.If the menu bar isn't showing, hold down the Control and B keys to show it. Learn more about the iTunes for Windows menu bar. From the menu bar, choose Help > Check for Updates.Follow the prompts to install the latest version.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says it is using ver.12.3.3
Is this correct?
When you are sure that you the latest version of itunes let's do the following:First: Put the device into DFU mode. DFU MODE STEPSDFU mode is signified by having a completely black screen on the device.Connect the iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes. Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone).Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button.Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recovery mode has been detected by iTunes. Second: Plug it into your computer and open iTunes. It will either prompt to restore and up date or you can manually restore using the following steps. IOS Restore StepsSelect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes. Select the Summary tab, and click the Restore button.Click Restore.After a restore, the iOS device restarts. You should then see "Slide to set up". Follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant.
Yes, 12.3.3 is the latest version.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried three times and it just comes back to activate the ipod. Still will not go into recovery or restore.
What next?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I try to activate it says this ipod is linked to an Apple ID and Password ***** is not mine?
I'm sorry, I am out of ideas. I will "opt out" and see if another expert can help. Don't worry. You won't have to repeat anything. The other expert will be able to review our entire conversation. You will be notified by email when an experts picks it up. Have a great day!
Mac Support Specialist: BigDish101,
 replied 1 year ago
BigDish101
You're going to need to take it to a Apple store but I'm pretty sure they will want proof of ownership so I would contact the ebay seller about returning it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay how to I cancel my subscription to this site, did not solve my issue.
Mac Support Specialist: BigDish101,
 replied 1 year ago
I'll put in a request for you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much.
BigDish101
BigDish101
BigDish101