Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have an iphone 4s. It became disconnected from my wifi,

Customer Question

I have an iphone 4s. It became disconnected from my wifi, when I tried to reconnect it wouldn't accept the wifi password ***** though I'm positive I entered it correctly and all other device are working just fine. Same thing at work, it keeps telling me incorrect password ***** though I'm certain I entered it correctly.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First we can reset your iPhone and see if it works or not. Press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot

Then go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings. This will not delete anything from your iPhone. It just resets some settings like WiFi, bluetooth etc.

Then go to Settings tap WiFi. You will find your WiFi network there. Tap it and enter your WiFi password ***** connect.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same problem. I had already done this before, but I just did it again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any computer there connected to your WiFi network ?

Does it connect to other WiFi networks ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a computer and no it does not connect to other networks, it doesn't accept the correct password, not even for apple.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried resetting all settings ? Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

When you connect it to other WiFi networks, is it still showing incorrect password ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have not. What are the consequences of such an action?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It will reset home screen layout, bluetooth, WiFi, wallapper, ringtone etc. It will not delete any of your files or app data. Just basic settings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll try it now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You may need to go through some initial setup after resetting all settings.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If it still not working, then go to Settings > WiFi. Tap Other. Enter your SSID for Name

Select WPA or WPA2 as Security. Enter password ***** connect. Does it connect this way ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's an SSID?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Your network name

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Enter it exactly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know it
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is your WiFi's name. Check your other devices and you will see the network name on them (the connected one)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not working either
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

To make sure, your iPhone is not connecting any other WiFi network. Right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, third time now, please stop asking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's like what I'm typing in the keyboard is not being recognized correctly, if that makes any sense.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Is there any issue with the touch screen ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Open Notes app. Type something and are you able to type correctly ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
works fine
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that the issue is related to the WiFi chip or an issue with iOS software. To rule out iOS glitch, you have to restore it from iTunes on your computer. If this is related to software , then restoring the iPhone will fix it. But I've to warn you. If this is hardware related, there is a chance that the restoring will fail and your phone may brick which may render it useless. Since you already tried resetting settings, restoring is the only option left.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

iTunes will recognize your iPhone. Select your iPhone in the top left (select iPhone icon)

Then in Summary section, click Backup and make sure "To this computer" is selected. Let the Backup complete. Do this backup one or 2 times.

Then click Restore button and let it restore. It will take some time to restore the iPhone .

After restoring, you will get option to restore your backup. Select Restore from iTunes backup and all your files will be restored. If this is software, then this will work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other ideas? That seems a little extreme, I can at least use my phone now, by the sounds of it, I might not be able to after
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Only in rare cases, it will fail. The reason is, the chip is integrated to internal board and when restoring, Apple tests all components of the board. This is the only option left.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but this is the only option left as you have already tried resetting settings. Even Apple does the same thing when you take it in.

Restoring will replace the current iOS with a fresh one and if this is software glitch, restoring will tell. Only in rare cases it will fail.