GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

My MacBook air wasn't working correctly so I let a former

Customer Question

my MacBook air wasn't working correctly so I let a former employee of mine fix it. he sent it back with a usb in it and it worked . after he was fired it wouldn't work so I tried holding down alt+r and it has a grey padlock and a password ***** imtmmmm
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: thank u
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also when I put the usb in it the one he made for me and start it .. it says contact me or this computer will self destruct in 1800 hrs.
Expert:  Mac_Martin replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Mac_Martin replied 1 year ago.

Please disregard my last message, it was intended for another customer.

I will open your question to other experts now.

No need to reply.

Regards,

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. I'm terribly sorry that this happened to you. Can you tell what the model of the MacBook Air is? Or a serial number so I can maybe figure it out? Also, do you know what version of MAC OSX is running on it? If I know that I can provide instructions for reinstalling the operating system. This does mean that you will loose files and documents though. Do you happen to have a backup of anything important on the drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi it is a MacBook air model A1370. I think it was mountain lion. I don't have anything on the computer I need to save.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay. For some reason I wasn't notified of your response. If you don't have anything on the computer that you need to preserve you should be able to do a clean install of Mountain Lion using the following steps.

Here’s how to install (or reinstall) OS X, step by step:

1. Boot from your Recovery HD partition by restarting your Mac while holding down the cmd+R keys.

The OS X Utilities window appears. Select Reinstall OS X, and click Continue. The OS X Mountain Lion splash screen appears. Click Continue.

A notice will appear telling you that your computer’s eligibility needs to be verified by Apple. Click Continue to begin the process of installing or reinstalling OS X.

If you’re not connected to the Internet, you’ll be asked to choose a Wi-Fi network from the AirPort menu in the top-right corner.

2. The Mountain Lion software license agreement screen appears. Read it and click Agree.

Click agree again when asked to confirm that you clicked the Agree button.

3. Choose the disk on which you want to reinstall OS X by clicking its icon once in the pane where you select a disk.

If only one suitable disk is available you won’t have to choose; it will be selected for you automatically.

Click the Install button.

4. You will be asked to enter your Apple id and password. Enter them in the appropriate fields; and click on Sign In. The Mountain Lion installation will begin. It can take an hour or more to install. When the install is finished, your Mac will restart. After the restart follow the instructions on the screen to setup your newly installed MAC OSX Mountain Lion.

If you have any questions or concerns during the process or need any clarification, please let me know.

If the instructions that I've have provided have been helpful to you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for Just Answer I do not receive credit for my answer or any compensation at all without a rating of 3 stars or more. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it didn't work I had already tried that . it just shows a grey padlock and a password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there another answer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering if your sister might have setup SMART LOCK using her android phone. You can read more about that at http://www.omgchrome.com/set-smart-lock-chromebook/
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if that is the case or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no that didn't help.. my sister ?? i don't have a sister