Tim
Tim, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  Sr Engineer at Yanna
75378780

Skype is calling people but I get a blank screen my camera

Customer Question

My name is***** is calling people but I get a blank screen for both my camera and the other person's camera. I only hear the voice of the other person. They can see and hear me though
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It happened once before but it resolved itself now it won't
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

When was the last time video worked ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now see the other person but cannot see myself. The other person can see me though.. everything was normal yesterday
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I see, are you in full screen mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but when I go to full screen nothing changes.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Got it, give me a few minutes ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok!
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

if you look in the botem right hand corner do you see a really small square?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

It would be really small if full screen, if you click it, it makes it bigger and that should show you.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Or a small square anywhere around the video, I think you minimized it by mistake, look carefully, it wont look like much but it should be there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see the square where it usually shows me. It just shows a loading image of my profile picture for Skype
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

interesting, and the other person can see you huh? Try giving it a reboot, if you are streaming video and the other party sees it, then that square (should) show it....i got my mac out and skyped myself and did not see any other areas to change it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've rebooted it 3 times already. The other person sees me but I just can't see myself. I'm not sure what the issue is
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I can see that being annoying, let me call my self again -=]

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

on the MAC it seems to be pretty cut and dry, do you happen to have two cameras? If not, i'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling skype, or better yet check for an update.....when skype is open go to Skype in the top left hand corner and go down to check for updates.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says I'm all updated. I'll try to uninstall and reinstall it maybe that'll help
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps, what ever it is its a pretty odd error. Again, do you have more than one camera on the laptop? I'm pretty sure you do not...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, just the built in one
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

i figured as much, I'm a little perplexed.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

is the other person using a tablet by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, Laptop. Windows. I have another issue now. Skype turned off because of bad internet connection and when I got it back on... the video for the other person turned off. Now I only see them when I'm on a different page and Skype is minimized to the little Box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I can see myself but not the other person! This is going terribly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just see a blue screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's going on and off. Now I see them on the big screen but not when I minimize it. I just think my Skype has issues
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Skype can, and often does have issues. Now internet speeds WILL effect skype greatly

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

If either party has slow internet for what ever reason, skype just turns to garbage....one thing to consider is getting a skype alternative, like one from google, it actually works better.....I use to work at eBay when they owned Skype, and even we didint use it....

https://apps.google.com/intx/en_us/products/hangouts/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=na-us-en-forms-skws-gafw-trial-e&utm_term=%2Bvideo%20%2Bchat&KWID=43700009890745416

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I'll be back to check on you in abit.