Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My IMAC keeps freezing, well its started quite recently, Im

Customer Question
my IMAC keeps freezing JA: Thanks...
my IMAC keeps freezing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well its started quite recently
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Im running OSX el capitan
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
3/24/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have followed the instructions and will give you feedback whether the screen freezes tonight ...can i provide this feedback tomorrow as i have to go to bed soon?

No problem at all, let me know how it goes please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Today I have still had the big freeze, but I was able to do some work on my Mac for a longer period before the freeze came. Also there was a slight difference...previously when the computer froze the cursor became a small hand with a pointed finger, and the mouse would not respond at all. Today the cursor became like a capital I (with a cross bar at the top and bottom) and the mouse could move it but there was no response. I don't know if this makes any sense to you? There is quite a bit of the spinning rainbow wheel action when I switch pages or programmes. So far only one freeze in 2 hours is a big improvement....but obviously there is still something wrong....Should I run the First Aid process again? I will wait for further instructionsThanks for your help thus far
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just froze once again....

Thanks, ***** ***** do the following please

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys

Then tell me if it now freezes again

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it still keeps freezing......however I have spoken to someone and they have suggested I contact Norton because I have their anti virus installed and apparently that can sometimes cause problems...I shall do that tomorrow

That can cause an issue, and we can confirm this, trash Norton so it is uninstalled from the computer.

Does it then still freeze?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I allowed Norton to access my computer remotely....they removed the programme and then re-installed it...it seems a lot better now but I will wait for a day or two before I am assured that the problem is solved

ok, please let me know the results. Though unless you purchased Norton, I would advise on using Avira instead. Norton causes more problems then it solves.

But let me know how you go please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did purchase a years subscription to Norton...Monday seemed a lot better but today it has begun freezing again, so I'm going to contact them again

ok, but run it a day without norton just to see if this is the case.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Norton rep looked at the processes running on my mac and remarked that there was a process called 'icdd' that is using 111.6 MB which seems excessive...I have no idea what this can be...any ideas?
Richard, Apple Software Engineer