Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

A friend of mine gave me s PB G4 and it won't boot up or

Customer Question
Mike a friend of mine...
Mike a friend of mine gave me his PB G4 and it won't boot up or start up but it does come on. Can you help me
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I turn it on the logo shows up then the little swirl just goes around then it shuts down then does it over again
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
3/24/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 1 year ago
Mike, Mac Medic

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the keys and immediately press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen. This should attempt repairs if all is well and there is no hardware failure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's it

Does that mean it worked? Can you clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It keeps turning off and back on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just push the apple logo and the option key and the P R KEYS TOGETHER RIGHT
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You could have connected toward the first time instead of charging me more money I want my computer fixed

I have no idea what that last post means but anyway... Yes after you start it but before you hear the startup chime hold those keys, wait until you hear the startup chime three times then let go and hold the Shift key

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Let me know what happens that is a very old computer but let's see

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The battery went dead so I had to plug it up plug it back up the guy said there was nothing wrong with the computer I just want to get it going if I can tonight if you can help me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It don't seem like it's doing anything mike it would have been nice if you had offered to connect to my computer the first time since the old computer instead of trying to make more money off me I'm still not getting no satisfaction

I have no idea what you are talking about I made no offer and how can I connect to a computer that is not working anyway? The site makes these offers they have no idea what the customer needs apparently. Did you try what I suggested?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried it 4 times and nothing happened but the ads suggest that if that didn't work that you could remotely hook to it I'm just going by what the ad says

How can I remotely connect to a dead computer?

What guy said there was nothing wrong with the computer? The guy who gave it to you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree with you Mike I'm just going on with the ad says on this website that we're talking through

OK please ignore that and listen to what I say. If the guy who gave it to you said there was nothing wrong with the computer and it won't start then I would say you should ask him why he thinks there is nothing wrong with it and get some clarification and then come back and maybe I can help you. Did he give you any disks with it?

I meant ignore the automatic messages the website sends they are not from me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

OK then please ask him why he thinks there is nothing wrong with it and tell him what you told me then come back tomorrow and let me know ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mike how do you create a startup disk for The PowerBook G4 from the internet

From the internet? There is no way that I know of you would have to buy a disk from eBay if you have the exact model number of the computer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me how to restore back to factory settings

What I already told you to do will do that as far as the motherboard if it is working... But we have no idea if the charger the battery or the hard drive are even working you need at least the install disk to boot from to check that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hear what you're saying but the charger is working it charge discharging him up now I just wish I can get it working right

You said you did what I suggested but you never told me exactly what happened. Does the screen come on at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sir the screen still comes on Apple logo comes up but it turns right back off and then come back on again the same way

Ok you need the system install disk to even begin to diagnose at this point.

To be honest there isn't much you could use it for anyway it won't even run the latest web browsers or other software... if you could find web browsers that will run on it you would not even be able to access many sites because it is too old to run the latest technologies and security. You might not even be able to use email for that same reason.... If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Please remember we only get a portion of the original amount you pay no matter how long it takes, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Mike, Mac Medic