Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

When I boot up iMac it asks 6 digit PIN code, on idea where

Customer Question
When I boot up iMac...
When I boot up iMac it asks for a 6 digit PIN code, on idea where this came from!!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Cant lo on to iMac as it is asking for a system lock PIN code!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

This is when it is remotely locked by iCloud, it appears someone may have access t your iCloud account.

Can you enter 123456

Is that accepted?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It won't let me enter any numbers in to the fields

you cannot add anything to it at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

ok,

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have followed your instructions and all I get is a padlock image

On which step did you get to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As soon as it starts to boot up!

yes but did you hold the keys down when booting as I requested?

start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cmd and R
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Under the padlock there is a field to type into but i cannot type into it!

ok, please attempt the following

Hold Apple+S when booting to enter single user mode

Enter int eh below press enter on each line
#sh /etc/rc
#passwd yourusername
#reboot

1) Insert the OSX install disc that came with the MacBook.
2)Re-start the MacBook and when you hear the chime sound hold down the ‘C’ key.
3)Choose the proper language and hit continue
4)Now you will be at the installer. Choose Utilities and then Reset Password.

Let me know the results please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Once again it is asking for system lock PIN code

ok, power it off then on and hold option + command + R at the chime

what then happens?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Padlock image again with a type area beneath

is it a wireless or cabled keyboard your using?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cable

ok, do ypou have the Mac installation disk with you now?

Richard, Apple Software Engineer