Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I did the /sbin/fsck Command and the reply after the check

Customer Question

Hello, I did the /sbin/fsck
Command and the reply after the check is invalid volume free block count (it should be###-##-####instead of###-##-#### ***** needs repair
Missing directory record
The volume Mac HD account not be repaired. Now what :-(
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Your only choice is to erase the drive and reformat it or try another repair utility like Disk Warrior. Do you have a backup? Will it startup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not backed up
How do I erase the drive?
No it will not start up, only in safe mode
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If it will start up in Safe Mode then you can at least backup what you need.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, not safe mode, it only lets me do the Shift S when trying to start up. Is there a way to start up in safe mode?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Oh yes you can try boot while holding the Shift key

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not working, I just get that grey line and then it shuts off
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK do you know what system version it was running at least?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lol I'm sorry! How do I find that out? Or I can't? This computer is only a year old. I'm not happy
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Oh in that case I don't need that info try to boot to Recovery HD hold Command - R until you see the Apple Logo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't work either
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

What happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing it just keeps showing the gray line and the computer shuts off
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If it is less than a year old it is still under Warranty if it is over 1 year old and you have Apple care then it is also still under warranty.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys then immediately hold Option Command R to boot to Internet Recovery. You may have to shut it down and start it again if you don't hold them quickly enough. With Internet Recovery you can eraser the drive and Reinstall the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay doing that now
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If your info is vital and no hardware has actually failed Disk Warrior is worth a shot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the Internet recovery and it just now has a gray circle with a line through it. What does that mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it went back to the start up again with the gray line
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

It can mean a few things the system is not recognizing the drive usually which means it has failed. If you did the whole procedure try both Command -R and if that does not work Option Command R again until you can get to Utilities screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thxs, trying it again
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK if you can't then I'm afraid there is a hardware failure of some kind and it needs repair. Sorry.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it has a circle with an ! And it says Apple.com/support
Assuming it's telling me to contact them?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Right I'm afraid it needs to be repaired. We have done all you can do at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks anyway! So much for MacBooks being so great
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Right take that up with Apple.

Please remember that the experts here cannot fix failed hardware. We guarantee a correct ANSWER, even if that answer determines the product needs to be physically repaired. No one likes to hear they need to spend more money to fix the problem but at least you now know what needs to be done and you can make an informed decision.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I realize that
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks, ***** *****