comp_audio
comp_audio, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  5+ years mac support experience ready to help you.
44312836

I usually use iPhoto but am using Photos specific project. I

Customer Question

I usually use iPhoto but am using Photos for a specific project. I imported all the photos by right clicking on pictures and ctrl click and "export to photos" All the pics are stored under the album tab in photos but when I click on the "photos" tab, which I would expect to be a master library, it just says "welcome to photos" the original screen. When I want to add extra photos to my project, I can't. Shouldn't the photos tab be full of all my photos??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** am a 20 year veteran in the IT field and also a US Army Veteran. I will do my best to assist you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Give me a minute and I will send you some instructions/suggestions to try to see all your pictures in Photos.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

First lets try these steps please... (I am assuming that the pictures you're wanting to open are under a Library in iPhoto)

1. Quit Photos.
  2. Hold down the Option key and open Photos.
  3. Select the library you want to open. If the library you want isn’t listed, click Other Library. Navigate to the library you want, and click Open.
  4. If the library you want isn’t listed, click Other Library. Navigate to the library you want and click Open.

You can also drag the library you’d like to open to the Photos icon in the Dock. Or you can click Create New to create an all-new, empty library.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Something I myself found very helpful was the following site. It has some very good information I think you may also like it.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/7982517/apple-photos-mac-iphoto-replacement-explainer-faq

Here is another one, which give even more information on Photos - as it states a very good Users Guide to Photos.

http://www.imore.com/how-use-photos-os-x-ultimate-guide

When you get a chance reply and let me know if I was able to assist you with your question or if you need further assistance yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that doesn't work, I still only have pictures in my "albums" and welcome screen in my "photos" . If it was something that was covered in a user guide I wouldn't be considering paying $35 for a solution!
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I understand that you do not wish to look through the user guide. I would like to mention though that since Photos is still somewhat new for many people, a User Guide I thought would be welcomed. I was merely attempting to give you the most up to date information I could to help. Sorry you are not satisfied. For this reason I will OPT OUT and let another expert assist you.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Since no one else is willing to give it a try here is one more thing you can try. I have also attached a document for you to look through with pictures.

Please know I am trying to help you, so if this does not help you please reply letting me know and I can dig further.

How to Add your photos to Photos by importing your iPhoto library...

If you have a single iPhoto Library

<v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75"
coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe"
filled="f" stroked="f">
<v:shape id="Picture_x0020_4" o:spid="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75"
alt="http://www.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/styles/larger/public/field/image/2015/04/photos-for-os-x-preparing.jpeg?itok=AXAfag5x"
style='width:6in;height:273.75pt;visibility:visible;mso-wrap-style:square'>
<v:imagedata src="file:///C:/Users/Matt/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg"
o:title="photos-for-os-x-preparing"/>

If you're upgrading to Photos for OS X from iPhoto and you've only ever had a single iPhoto library on your Mac, your upgrade path is easy: After you open the app for the first time, Photos will automatically import all your iPhoto images into the app.

Your old iPhoto library will still remain if you need to use iPhoto for whatever reason, but changes made to those older images won't automatically sync to your new Photos library. If you don't need your old iPhoto library, you can toss it in the trash — your images are now safely in Photos (and, if you've turned on iCloud Photo Library, in iCloud as well).

If you're working with multiple libraries

Photos for OS X is only compatible with one pri***** *****brary per Mac: This means that you can't combine multiple old iPhoto or Aperture libraries into one master library. (Aperture does have this capability, if you need to merge some libraries; you can follow this “how-to guide” for more information on that front.)

As such, if you have multiple libraries on your machine, Photos will ask you to select which library you'd like to import when you first launch the app. Once you've selected the library you want to use, Photos will prep and import those images.

You can still upgrade your other older libraries to separate Photos libraries; you'll just have to individually import each one by option-clicking the Photos icon when starting the app. This brings up the "Choose Library" screen, where you can select a current Photos library or an older iPhoto or Aperture library to import.

<v:shape id="Picture_x0020_2"
o:spid="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://www.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/styles/larger/public/field/image/2015/04/photos-for-os-x-choose-library-option-click.jpg?itok=Yevlv7kC"
style='width:6in;height:228.75pt;visibility:visible;mso-wrap-style:square'>
<v:imagedata src="file:///C:/Users/Matt/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image005.jpg"
o:title="photos-for-os-x-choose-library-option-click"/>

These other Photos libraries function identically to each other, with one exception: Only one library can be synced with iCloud Photo Library at a time. Your others will be held locally in (or externally, if you have them on a hard drive) siloes from iCloud's sync service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my photos have already imported, that's why I can see them in the albums section of photos and have already made the photobook. The problem is they should also be showing in the photos section, i.e. the all encompassing section, but that still shows the welcome screen so I cannot add any additional photos to my photobook
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I think I understand better of what you are seeing now. Let me check into this quick and get back to you. Thanks for explaining further.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Please tell me what version of iOS are you currently on?

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

After searching many different technical sight and forums, I found that many other users also had this happening, and crazy as it might sound, performing a full shutdown, wait 30 seconds then turn it back on had fixed this problem for most of them.

However some of them would get an error that Photos is preventing it from shutting down, and in that event, you would need to force quit Photos and then shutdown.

Please give this a try and get back to me and let me know if that fixed it or not.