Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

We have a 2013 MacBookPro. The charger has been getting

Customer Question
We have a 2013 MacBookPro...
We have a 2013 MacBookPro. The charger has been getting really hot when it's charging. The computer becomes really hot too.
We unplugged it and closed the lid last night. Had a browser running.
The computer is dead today. Plug on the power chord no lights at all from power. Cannot turn computer on.
Has the heat fried it??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/3/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 2 years ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

It is possible the power supply fan or processor fan failed which can cause this, or it can be the PRAM that has crashed.

Can you do the following please.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

What then happens?

Dead in the water. No power.
No sounds. No
Light up. Nothing

Thanks

It is the internal mainboard that has fried, a capacitor will have blown due to the heat. Normally this is caused when a fan faults which causes it to overheat. Your data on the hard disk should be ok as they can take a bit of heat.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Macbook to have the mainboard and faulting fan replaced. The processor may also need replacing but they will; test this.

It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thanks very much.

your welcome

If you need anything else please let me know and please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top then submit

Thank you

We live in Gladstone, QLD, Australia. Where is the closest Apple tech

These are all stores in QLD

ueensland

• Brisbane
  • MacArthur Chambers
  • Brisbane QLD 4000
  • (07) 3182 9000
  • Carindale
  • Westfield Carindale
  • Carindale QLD 4152
  • (07) 3199 2200
  • Chermside
  • Westfield Chermside
  • Chermside QLD 4032
  • (07) 3115 0800
  • Robina
  • Robina Town Centre
  • Robina Town Centre QLD 4230
  • (07) 5667 0400

But you can also return to the place of purchase as well.