Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Today my wife's iPhone 6S Plus was not connecting. We were

Customer Question
Today my wife's iPhone 6S...
Today my wife's iPhone 6S Plus was not connecting. We were instructed to run the IOS update. While running the update the phone blacked out and will not recover. We have a years worth of memories on the iPhone. How can I get to them?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The iPhone only shows an apple logo or a connecting to iTunes logo. Thus I am unable to access photos or anything on the iphone
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
3/3/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

That screen indicates that the firmware/software of that iPhone is corrupted. Your only option to fix the iPhone to working condition is, restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes application (from computer) by putting it to recovery mode, which will erase everything from it. In fact everything is already lost from the iPhone.

But if you've backed up your iPhone to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPhone from iTunes/iCloud. Hopefully you have a backup made to iCloud.

Do you want me to help you with restoring the iPhone ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have a backup. I do not want to restore. I have a years worth of photos on the device. I do not want them erased.

I understand how frustrated you are and you want to restore the data back. But the screen you are getting indicates that the firmware of the iPhone has corrupted during the update. There is no way to fix the iPhone without restoring from ITunes. It doesn't matter where you take it. This issue can't be fixed without using iTunes to restore it.

In some rare cases when you connect to iTunes on computer, it may allow you to Restore and Update without deleting the contents. Click Update and it will restore the software without erasing the files. But I can't guarantee it will work. This doesn't work 90% of times.

The fact is, the core system files of iPhone are corrupted during the update. Restoring can't be avoided. In fact, your iPhone is asking you to restore it from iTunes and 90% of in these situations, the data is already gone. Like I said, in rare cases iTunes may be able to Restore and Update without losing the files. But if this doesn't work, then you have to restore it. It doesn't matter where you take it, even to the Apple store, they are going to restore the iPhone.

I know you are looking for a way to restore your files back, but believe me there is no way to prevent the restore. The restore is done to restore the iOS software.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

It will recognize the iPhone and ask you to restore or update. So first, click Update. Then follow the onscreen instructions to do the update (update is also a restore process but this may preserve data while restoring). If the iOS is completely corrupted, then this process will fail. That means everything is already lost from the iPhone.

So disconnect it from your computer. Then reconnect it and this time click Restore. This will restore the iOS software and put the iPhone to working condition.

Once the iOS is restored, follow the onscreen instructions on the iPhone to setup it. While setting up, you will get a option to setup it as new iPhone or Restore it from iCloud backup. Click Restore from iCloud backup. If there is any backup made, then this will restore all the files from iCloud.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

If nothing is recovered, then there is a third party application that you can try to get your data back. The name is***** for iOS. Get it from here --> https://www.wondershare.com/drfone-iphone-data-recovery.html

Install it and see if it can see your data on iPhone. Try the trial version of that application

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Are you sure there is no backup made on iCloud ? The reason I'm asking is, if she has signed in to iCloud then this will enable automatic backup. Can you ask her whether she had iCloud enabled on it ?

I want you to do this. Download this application --> https://www.wondershare.com/drfone-iphone-data-recovery.html

Install it. Then open Dr.Fone. In Dr.Fone, click on More tools in left column. Click Start button. Again, this will not work if the iOS software is completely corrupted. If it is corrupted, then you have to restore from iTunes. Let me know how it goes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried Dr Fone for iOS and it did not work. I am not willing to do a restore. I'd rather wait for Dr Fone for iOS or another third party to come out with a solution. I have very difficult time believing that all photos are completely gone and not retrievable. I did start to do a back via iTunes before doing the IOS update; however, I do not think it finished. I do not know what was backed up. Is there a way to find out?

Believe it or not, I had the same situation before (failed during update over OTA) and I had to do a complete restore. Even the restore and update didn't work for me. But you should try it.

I don't think Dr Fone or any one will come with a solution because this issue has been there for last 4 or 5 years (since Apple introduced updates OTA). If the iOS has failed during the update, then you are forced to restore it from iTunes.

In iTunes, click on Edit menu at the top bar and select Preferences or press Control and , or Command and ,

This will bring Preferences. Click on Devices tab and do you see the iPhone's name there ?

There is a way to browse the backup of iTunes or iCloud with Dr Fone. You can see what was backed up in iTunes using Dr Fone (no need to purchase the application). Did you check that ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The phone's name is ***** ***** under devices tab. However the serial number is *****

What date do you see for the backup ?

Also open that backup file using Dr.Fone and does it recognize its contents ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not recognizing a backup. However it synchronized with iTunes for about 45 minutes so it seems like something was backed up. Where would the back up file be stored on my computer?

Are you using a Mac or Windows PC ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows PC

It is in \Users\enter your username in here\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Press Windows and R to bring Run. Enter the above path and press enter to open this location.

You will not see the device name in Backup folder rather some large alphanumerics name

There are some backup extractor out there that you can use to find out what is in the backup files. Try the following ones (try trial versions)

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

http://www.itunesextractor.com/

https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I go to folder it does not show anything in it
when I try to use an app to locate such as Dr. Fone, it does not recognize the AppData folder

I'm afraid the backup was not made to your computer. Can you check with the backup extractor software above ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried the extractor. It does not appear there is a backup.

I'm really sorry, there is no backup made to your computer. Can you check your wife's iCloud account ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In response to your earlier comment below:
How can a situation exist like this for years with no solution? Files are corrupted frequently on computers and specialists work to restore them. Why not on iPhones? I am idiot for not backing up our families memories for the last year. However Verizon is one that told me to proceed with the update without warning me of any of these risks.Believe it or not, I had the same situation before (failed during update over OTA) and I had to do a complete restore. Even the restore and update didn't work for me. But you should try it.I don't think Dr Fone or any one will come with a solution because this issue has been there for last 4 or 5 years (since Apple introduced updates OTA). If the iOS has failed during the update, then you are forced to restore it from iTunes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before doing the update I upgraded my iCould to paid subscription; however, it is not showing that any photos were backed up.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I assume the PC iCloud App would detect if there were photos backed up. Is there any where else I should look?

Unlike computers the iPhone operating system is more of a closed environment and highly encrypted. The files are encrypted outside of iOS, which means the files on the iPhone are unreadable by any machine unless you actually unlock the iOS lock screen. You probably read about Apple and FBI case, so you will understand how protected these devices are.

Since your iPhone is not booted to home screen, no devices can read its files. That is why you are required to force restore the iPhone.

I always recommend my clients to backup to iTunes and also manually to computer (download of pictures), sync accounts and do a iCloud backup before giving them instructions to restore. They shouldn't have ask you to update without giving backup instructions. There is always a risk of soft-brick while updating the devices.

Open Dr.Fone, click iCloud Backup in left column, sign in to the iCloud ID and does it recognize any backups ?

You said Verizon, they probably don't have indepth knowledge about how these devices work. Their instructions for most problems are update or restore to factory. They should have mentioned the risk of update either from doing from device itself or from iTunes. Corruption in the downloaded iOS firmware file, delay in the transfer of update file from computer to iPhone, Anti Viruses etc cause updates to fail in the middle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everytime I try that option with Dr. Fone I get an error message saying the software had to quit unexpectedly. Is it possible the software is not working correctly and thus perhaps the retrieving of date is not working correctly?

It could be. Go to www.icloud.com

Login to your wife's account. Click on Settings and how much space is used for iCloud ?

Also download and open this application AnyTrans --> http://www.imobie.com/anytrans/download.htm

AnyTrans will allow you to open iCloud backup. Can you try that ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has used about 45 GB. The iPhone only could hold 64 GB so I don't understand why there are no photos.

It should have the photos. Browse the iCloud backup using AnyTrans and does it show anything?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I am trying it now.

Standing by

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it won't detect the device. does it need to detect the device to access icloud?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this maybe my answer found on their website:
"The next version of AnyTrans will support to share iCloud information although your device is not at hand. Please stay tuned."

The option left is, go ahead and restore the device. Then restore from iCloud backup

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll keep looking for other options. I should be able to find out what is on my iCloud backup before restoring. I do not want to restore. I have many memories that my wife captured of my baby girl, 6 year old daughter, and 9 year old son on the phone.

Can you try this one to explore iCloud backup ? http://www.imobie.com/phonerescue/

Since the 45GB is used, I believe the photos should there. Does she has any other Apple device signed to same iCloud iD ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think we do because before today we only had free iCloud which capped out at 5 GB. Thus another 40 was added today.

I'm afraid there is no other way to get them. May if you restore, you can attempt a delete recovery using Dr. Fone. It might not work, but it is worth a try. I'm really sorry I couldn't give you a solution. But in reality, there are no much solutions available. I just don't understand why iTunes didn't make backup.

Can you check iCloud backup with the PhoneRescue app ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the PhoneRescue app and it only detects a backup of 70 MB on 2016-03-03.

I'm stumped on this. I'm really sorry I couldn't solve your problem. Update and Restore or Restoring is the only option left. Sorry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you familiar with http://www.tenorshare.com/guide/iphone-data-recovery-win.html?

I've not used it before, the only application I had success was with Dr Fone. It recovered many deleted stuffs like photos, messages etc. But that was without restoring the device.

Restoring will over write the iPhone's memory. Restoring will also reduce the change of files being recovered. That is the real issue in here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thus my reason to wait on restoring until I can find a viable option. it seems like we are close and developers like Dr. Fone are working on finding solutions. Thus I am not ready to give up.

I'm not sure if they will find any. The iPhone just will not allow to read its memory without unlocking it first on iOS yet*. You may need to wait months or years. But it could be possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then I need to find a way to unlock the IOS.

Actually that is not possible without restoring the device.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to find out what is in the 45 GB on iCloud. Is it possible my photos are there despite them not being located?

Since no other devices are connected to iCloud, the photos or atleast some of them could be there. If you have another Apple device there, then you can erase it and restore this backup to see what is on it.

Apple doesn't allow you to specifically open and see the contents of backup

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a reason to purchase any of the these apps instead of using the free trials? I did originally purchase Dr. Fone but I will return it if I cannot get it to work.

No, you don't to purchase them first. You only need to purchase if you find your files to recover. Since they are unable to do it, then you don't have to purchase them

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it possible I have security setting on my computer that is preventing some of these apps from functioning?

Usually AntiVirus or Firewall can cause them to stop working properly. Disable Antivirus temporarily and see if they works. If you have another computer there, try Dr Fone on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have temporarily disabled Antivirus and Firewall and I am working on downloading Dr Fone to a new device

Good luck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks! Thank you for your suggestions tonight.

You're most welcome. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me directly any time you want if you ever need my help.

If you are satisfied with the service I provided, please remember to rate my services as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars ) at the top and click Submit.

You can get back to me any time you want even if you rate my service.

Good Night,

Ashik, Mac Technician