Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Unable to delete downloads on my MAC. When I move the item

Customer Question

Unable to delete downloads on my MAC. When I move the item to be downloaded to Trash, the file is not moved to the trash file. I am running OSX10. (El Captain). Have not had this problem before.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What info can I give you that would help?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mac Support Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Have you tried restart your Mac and deleting them ? Are you getting any errors when you trash them ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same after restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No errors were received.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What is the exact error you are getting when you trash them ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I want you to boot into Safe Mode and then try to trash from there. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 20 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Then go to Downloads and trash the files from there. If that didn't work, then press Command and delete at same time to trash them.

If it still not working, then download this application --> http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8214/trash-it!

Then use that application to trash those files. Is it working ?

If it still not working, please let me know by replying in here and we can force remove them

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The TrashIt application which you can download from the above link has the ability to force delete any files that can't be deleted in normal ways. Let me know how it goes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There are some issues with your payment, so I couldn't accept your request for remote support.

Were you able to delete that file in Safe Mode ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will work out the problem with APPLE. Per discussion with IVY in your billing department today, I cancelled my account and requested reversal of charges for $5.00 and $25.00 that have already been charged to my card. Also, no interest in continuing with the remote tech support. Thanks for your attempts to help me resolve my issues. Just too much confusion and prefer to deal with Apple.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about the confusion. The charge was safety deposit and fully refundable. I'm happy to continue to help you. This can be fixed easily. This problem usually occurs if the files are being used by some apps or if there is any permission issue. The TrashIt application I sent you can trash any files even if they are being used or if there is any permission related issue.

If you don't want to continue, then it is OK. Please don't rate me bad or poor or anything. You can close this page without rating and please ignore rating requests.

Have a great day,