Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just got a MicroTek 1000xl. I loaded the 7.7.6 ScanWizard…

Customer Question
I just got a MicroTek...
I just got a MicroTek 1000xl.
I loaded the 7.7.6 ScanWizard Pro.
I'm running a Mac with OS 10.6.8.
I unlocked the lock on the lid.
When you activate "overview", there is a horribly loud ratcheting noise that last about 20 seconds.
I'm afraid something is wrong.
Please advise.
Brett
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
2/29/2016
Mac Support Specialist: BigDish101,
 replied 2 years ago
BigDish101

Most scanners have some kind of lock slider on the bottom to prevent the scan element from moving during shipment. Have you checked for this? This would normally be on the bottom of the unit and not on the lid.

Your answer - so far - is not helpful. There is a clearly marked lock knob on the inside of the top lid. There is nothing on the bottom of scanner. If you are not familiar with this MicroTek scanner, or can find something in the online manual (which is available at MicroTek and elsewhere), your advice is worth $5. Not $40.
You response will determine future use of this site by me and may colleagues.
Regards,
Brett
Mac Support Specialist: BigDish101,
 replied 2 years ago

This is not something I can help with remotely as the scanner needs to be disassembled to find out why the scanning mechanism is jammed. I will request a refund for you. My suggestion is to contact the manufacture about having it repaired or look into replacing it with a new scanner, whichever is more cost effective for you.

Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

That model of scanner first sold in 2004.

Did you pick this scanner up used, or have you had it and worked with it for some time?

What you describe, sounds to me like either your timing belt has snapped, or its so worn out that its not turning the scan motor. Heres where you can order a replacement belt.

https://www.getthatpart.com/Microtek-Scanmaker-1000XL-Oem-Timing-Belt-532T80-***-**-****32.html

Now, heres the tough part.. Replacing it. Theres no service manual I can find available for that model.

Its possible that a careful technician or even average joe could open the scanner and replace the belt. Its not the easiest replacement in the world as to get the belt in place the machine has to be almost completely dismantled. And then put back together correctly.

The issue is repairable though, and the part isnt too expensive considering the retail value of the scanner.

If you let me know your zip code, I could probably find a repair shop that could handle the replacement.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Dustin,
I bought the scanner used, as we need a large flatbed and got a good price on this one. If it works. I'll go back to the seller and see if they will trade it. Keep my file open.
Thanks,
Brett

Unless you close or cancel our conversation, It will stay open for 30 days from the last response.

Even if you do return the scanner and get a new one. Let the seller know that all they need to do is replace the OEM timing belt~

Either way, Ill keep an eye out for your responses once you figure out what the next step is.

Dustin S.