Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My mac isn't turning on properly - the apple logo is on but

Customer Question
it's just spinning and nothing...
My mac isn't turning on properly - the apple logo is on but it's just spinning and nothing lol load. I've tried restarting it with the same issue. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
2/27/2016
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 1 year ago
John T. F., Mac Druid

Do you happen to know which version of OS X is currently installed on this Mac?

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I'm not sure sorry. I haven't been using my Mac for ages

Ok,

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until a boot menu appears listing the bootable volumes in your Mac. This usually happens within 30 seconds.

Can you tell me what it lists?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not getting any chime.

Ok,

Try holding down Option was soon as you restart, but before the grey screen appears then continue as instructed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I've got a screen with 2 options - Mac HD and Recovery Hd

OK, great.

Then, select the “Recovery HD" volume.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk" (or First Aid)

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions" if available.

Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display.

Then, restart your Mac and it should hopefully boot back into your normal Desktop.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi john, I had a few issues with my other computer going flat so I'm back on now. Unfortunately it's saying "disc utility can't repair this doc. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disc and restore your backed up files".
I'm concerned as my photos are not backed up (or haven't been for a while and I'm afraid to lose them.

Ok,

you can see if you can manage to boot into Safe Boot mode and back up the photos.

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

Give it 10 mins max to boot to the desktop.

Let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still nothing other than Apple logo and progress thing. I'll restart and try again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok this is ridiculous. I still have the apple logo and progress spinning. Is there something else I can try?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello??

When you booted to the Recovery volume and ran Disk Utility, did you see the Repair Disk option or First Aid?

John T. F., Mac Druid