Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am sitting before my pc trying to update ipad 2 bought in…

Customer Question
Good day. I am...

Good day. I am sitting before my pc trying to update ipad 2 bought in 2011 and has never been updated. now i connected it to pc it detected but when the process gets to waiting for ipad, it pops up the message, 'IPAD ''ipad'' could not be restored. An unknown error occured (9)

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you ready to speak with the Mac Technician now?

Yes.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/25/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 2 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have latest iTunes installed on your PC ?

You need to restore it by putting to DFU Mode. DFU Mode is a recovery mode which allow you to restore the software of iPad to working condition. Remember, restoring the iPad will erase everything from it and install a fresh software. But if you have backup, then you can restore that backup to your iPad after restoring the iPad

Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPad (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

i have done this several times over. after extracting software; verifying ipad update; waiting for ipad etc, the message will pop up: ipad cannot be restored: error 9. the ipad will get stuck in recovery mode even if i try pressing and holdin sleep/wake button. i will use fone paw software to rewake the ipad.

Did you try downloading the firmware manually and restoring it ?

Also did you try different USB cable a?

i had a friend with IT knowledge try with manually downloaded ios 9.2, but no luck. i just bought another 30-pin cable and tried, no luck

What about restoring from another computer ?

Can you disable the Anti Virus and try a restore ?

i think there is un-explainable reason; I have 2 laptops before me, one apple macbook 2013 retina and HP. Last week i tried with a friend's hp, no luck
I clean-installed windows 10 for him with no antiviru and no third-party software whatsoever, yet no luck

I'm really sorry. That points out an hardware issue with iPad. It might be port of iPad since it doesn't go beyond Waiting for iPad. You have to take it to the Apple Store.

You have already tried all troubleshooting steps so far. Since I couldn't solve your problem, you can contact *****@******.*** for full refund.

Please don't rate bad or poor or anything. You can close this page without rating and ignore the rating request. SorryI couldn't solve your problem. This is something we can't fix online

Ashik, Mac Technician