Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am sitting before my pc trying to update ipad 2 bought in

Customer Question

good day. I am sitting before my pc trying to update ipad 2 bought in 2011 and has never been updated. now i connected it to pc it detected but when the process gets to waiting for ipad, it pops up the message, 'IPAD ''ipad'' could not be restored. An unknown error occured (9)
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you ready to speak with the Mac Technician now?
Customer: yes.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have latest iTunes installed on your PC ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You need to restore it by putting to DFU Mode. DFU Mode is a recovery mode which allow you to restore the software of iPad to working condition. Remember, restoring the iPad will erase everything from it and install a fresh software. But if you have backup, then you can restore that backup to your iPad after restoring the iPad

Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPad (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have done this several times over. after extracting software; verifying ipad update; waiting for ipad etc, the message will pop up: ipad cannot be restored: error 9. the ipad will get stuck in recovery mode even if i try pressing and holdin sleep/wake button. i will use fone paw software to rewake the ipad.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Did you try downloading the firmware manually and restoring it ?

Also did you try different USB cable a?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had a friend with IT knowledge try with manually downloaded ios 9.2, but no luck. i just bought another 30-pin cable and tried, no luck
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What about restoring from another computer ?

Can you disable the Anti Virus and try a restore ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think there is un-explainable reason; I have 2 laptops before me, one apple macbook 2013 retina and HP. Last week i tried with a friend's hp, no luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clean-installed windows 10 for him with no antiviru and no third-party software whatsoever, yet no luck
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm really sorry. That points out an hardware issue with iPad. It might be port of iPad since it doesn't go beyond Waiting for iPad. You have to take it to the Apple Store.

You have already tried all troubleshooting steps so far. Since I couldn't solve your problem, you can contact *****@******.*** for full refund.

Please don't rate bad or poor or anything. You can close this page without rating and ignore the rating request. SorryI couldn't solve your problem. This is something we can't fix online