Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I got connected to the national broadband network last week.

Customer Question
Hi. I got connected to...
Hi. I got connected to the national broadband network last week. The modem router that was supplied by my ISPi is awful so I bought a linksys ac 2600 today. It's fantastic - signal is perfect throughout the house so I'm ecstatic about that. The problem is, I now can't connect my phone.. The netcomm router had a phone jack so I could use voip but there's no access point on the linksys. The guy in the shop said I could run both but I have no idea how. Help please!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
2/24/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Tim, Mac Enthusiast replied 2 years ago
Tim
Tim, Mac Enthusiast

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

No thanks - it's a wiring issue and can't be fixed remotely

Yeah, if it does not have a VOIP built in. SO you will need a 3rd party voip option like Vontage or ooma, which will connect directly to your router, and your phones will then connect to it, It's the same idea as having it built in, but probably better.

http://www.ooma.com/

www.vonage.com

Both are available in the States, and i'd assume over seas as well. There are also other competitors, but this is your work around. Let me know if you have more questions! Also please rank me in the upper right hand corner of of your screen, with any positive rating i provide free support on the same question

I know, sorry, thats my into -=} I had to take some time to find the above for you which will fix that wiring issue.

No. I was told that it wa possible to connect both routers to the network so I could run one for Internet and one for phone

Not true, you can't have both routers on one network, they can't work together unless DHCP is turned off on one, who ever told you that is misinformed.

The only way to do it is turn DHCP off on the older router and try that route, but that will probably be very unstable.

If your voip is free with your ISP, I can see not wanting to use one of the services mentioned, in which case you might want to try turning off DHCP on the old router and hooking it up to new router, then phone to Older router.

Anne, let me know if this does not make sense.

The processor would be to log into old routers interface and turn off DHCP, then plug into ant ports 1-4 on new router, you will need to obtain the ip address of the older router to log in.

Ok thanks. Will try tonight

Sure, let me know if you need more help, or a call. I can call international. Please do leaving a rating if you get a chance, thank you.

Well me managed to get it going but it was a LOT more complicated than that. Thanks anyway
Tim
Tim
Tim, Mac Enthusiast