Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My macbook pro starting acting sluggish: apps wouldn't open,

Customer Question
My macbook pro starting...

My macbook pro starting acting sluggish: apps wouldn't open, sophos anti-virus wouldn't complete updating. Tried to boot to safe mode (holding shift key). Got stuck. Rebooted with PRAM zap. Some improvement, but sluggishness returned. Tried to verify permissions with Disk Utility, but it got stuck. Tried to update to Mavericks, but dowload stalled. Tried booting in single user mode and running fsck -fy, but now stuck in "Checking catalog file"

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?

I don't think so....

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Also tried to run disk utility from recovery mode, but that got stuck, too.
2/17/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 2 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic

It sounds like your drive may be failing. Can you boot to Recovery HD and Verify Disk?

trying now
It appears to have hung up partway through. It said in green "The volume...appears to be OK".
"Storage system check exit code is 0."
"The partition map appears to be OK."
It says that it is verifying volume, estimated time 2 minutes, but it has been on that for ten minutes.

I think you may have clicked it twice it normally ends with appears to be OK. Is that a MAcBook with a removable battery?

Removable battery? It is the unibody case, which can be opened, but it is not easily removable.

Yes I meant "easily" removed sorry...ok

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys and immediately hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is ok quit Disk Utility and select Reinstall Mac OS X.

OK. I will try that, but I have to go to another location. I presume we can resume in about an hour?

Sure