Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My mac book pro won't load. It just goes to a grey screen.

Customer Question
If I try to load...
My mac book pro won't load. It just goes to a grey screen. If I try to load to safe mode it doesn't finish loading and goes to a blue screen and hangs there.
If I try to boot to recovery mode it goes to grey screen (both normal and Internet versions) and same for hardware test mode.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
2/14/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 2 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic

Try Option Command R for Internet Recovery..

As mentioned in the question I have done this and it loads to grey screen

Oh sorry I missed that if you can boot to Internet Recovery what happened? Did you check it with the Disk Utility?

Once I boot to Internet recovery it goes to grey screen again.Not sure how I check with disk utility. (If this holding down D when booting up then yes and it goes to grey screen)The secure connection thing u just sent requires a US phone number and I'm in uk. Is there another way to do that?

I didn't send that just ignore it. They have no idea that I can't connect to a computer that won't run.

Lol ok.
So the disk utility is the holding down D while booting? If so then it goes to grey screen again

No Disk Utility is accessed when you boot to Recovery HD or Internet Recovery. Us that a MacBook with a removable battery?

No. Battery is not removable.

OK do this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys and immediately hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process.

Ok now restart and hold Option until you see a list of boot partitions

Ok I have Macintosh HD and recovery-10.8
also below it choose network to connect to Internet

Choose Recovery HD then do one of the following based on the system version:

10.11 or above

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.
________

10.10 or below

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

It boots to a blue screen :/

OK do you have a Time Machine backup?

Not sure. But don't think so.
Plus one of the most important things I need is a word document that was done yesterday.

You would know. Do you have another Mac or PC?

I could one for now yes.

If you have or can access another Mac you can try to access the drive using Target Disk mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

But as far as getting it running again you will have to take it in to Apple to see if the drive or some other component has failed . There is nothing more you can do at this point to diagnose the problem. If that is not possible I could give you a link to a USB image of Yosemite which you can then boot from to try and fix or erase that drive if possible... it requires us to exchange private info so it is an extra fee...

Ok thanks. I'll take it up to apple to see what's happened then. Appreciate your time trying anyway.

Good luck.

Please remember that the experts here cannot fix failed hardware. We guarantee a correct ANSWER, even if that answer determines the product needs to be physically repaired. No one likes to hear they need to spend more money to fix the problem but at least you now know what needs to be done and you can make an informed decision.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!