Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to set a apple computer back to factory

Customer Question
settings, it a 2007 model...
I am trying to set a apple computer back to factory settings, it a 2007 model. I tried a way that was posted but I don't have a recovery and when I push McIntosh HD, it doesn't allow me to pick journling. I see it but it isn't highlighted. Is there easier way.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
2/12/2016
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this

ok great

Please try the following:

1}Back up any files that you need to save.

2}Make sure that you the laptop that you are planning to restore has an active connection to the internet.

3} Restart the Mac in Recovery Mode (hold down the Command key and the R key during restart).

4}Use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive. Click on Disk Utility > Continue. Select the main volume and click Unmount then Erase). Quit Disk Utility (Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility).

Note: If erase is grayed out, you may not have successfully booted into Recovery Mode. Shut down again, and restart, holding down the Command and R key.

· {C}When you have exited Disk Utility, click Reinstall OS X and Continue. Follow the instructions to reinstall Mac OS X

Please let me know if you have any questions during the process. If this works for you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

this is what I have tried, and I push erase and I push erase and in volume Format it says Mac OS Extended (Journaled) But it is not hightlighted and Erase at the bottom isn't either

Are you able to boot he MAc now? Can you get to disk utilities?

I can go in disk utilities but it doesn't come up unless I go into computer

Note from the initial instructions where it says "Note: If erase is grayed out, you may not have successfully booted into Recovery Mode. Shut down again, and restart, holding down the Command and R key." I think that maybe the case because you should also be able to access disk utilities if you are in receovery mode. Try to restart and hold down the Command key and the R key until it comes up in recovery mode.

It always goes back to main screen, I have done this several times and same thing everytime
are you still there

If it goes back to the main screen it is definitely not going in to recovery mode. Please try one more time. I'm not sure how you are restarting but let's try doing it this way. To restart your computer, you have three choices: Press the power button (or press Control+Eject) and, when a dialog box appears, click the Restart button. Choose the Apple key and then click Restart. Press Control+Command+Eject (or Control+Command+Power button). When it begins to restart, hold down the Command and R keys at startup. Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window. You will have to get into receovery mode in order to be able to restore your MAC.

If this works for you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal!

It is not working

Ok. I'm sorry but I will have to "opt out" and se if someone else can help. you. I have run out of ideas.

will they be getting ahold of me
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 2 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Version 10.4.11
Processor 2.16 GHZ intel Core Duo
Memory 1GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM

OK command R will not work you will need the system install disk that came with your Mac do you have it?

I have disk 1 and disk 2

Put the disk one in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Erase tab on the right then make it Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) name in Macintosh HD and Erase. When done quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install . After restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.

I don't see a disk utilities on the disk
I went into diskl utilities and OS Extended Journal is gray and wond let me choose

It is not "on" the disk you have to boot from the disk by holding the letter C with the disk in the Mac. Then when you get to he Install screen you go to the very top of the screen to Utilities

Then select Macintosh HD on the left in Disk Utility then select the Erase tab and Erase.

That's where I am telling you that mac os extended (Journal) is gray and will not let me choose and also erase button is gray

Are you sure you are booted from the disk? Do you see the normal Dock with all the icons at the bottom?

I see normal dock and screen

Then you are not booted from the disk. Is this an iMAc , laptop OR WHAT?

laptop
macbook

Does it have a removable battery on the back?

Put the disk in then:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Disconnect the power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
5. Release the power button.
6. Reconnect the battery and power adapter.
7. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 9.
8. Turn on the computer.
9. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
10. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
11. Release the keys and immediately hold the C key the letter C and keep holding it until you see the Apple Logo

The screen that came up has mac OS X install disk 1 and Macintosh HD and Network
no apple logo

Choose OS X install disk. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Erase tab on the right then make it Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) name in Macintosh HD and Erase. When done quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install . After restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.

Were you able to install that?

Mike, Mac Medic