Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I can't use my iPhone - it say's; iPhone is disabled,

Customer Question

I can't use my iPhone - it say's; iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes - why would it give me that note? I started with trouble yesterday when I wasn't able to log onto my phone, I tried a few solutions and then this came up and I stopped.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

There can be a number of causes for this.

First, what happens when you do connect it to itunes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, I wasn't sure I should considering I never asked to go to iTunes - I'm more concerned about the "disabled"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The phone has been sent a signal to be disabled, and this can be for a number of reasons, it can also be because the firmware crashed, so we need to please connect it to the computer, open iTunes and tell me please what then happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I opened iTunes & what's best way to connect it to my iphone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my iphone won't take instructions
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It can only be one way, connect the data cable to the bottom of the phone and then the other end of the cable to the USB port on the computer please.

Wait a few minutes so the computer can install it and tell me what itunes then says please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is plugged into the computer now and has been this whole time
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, and what does iTunes now say please Tanya?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the computer the iTunes program says nothing - on the iphone, nothing has changed
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The other end of the cable is connected to the iPhone correct?

So a connection from the iPhone to the computer via the cable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I be in a certain window of iTunes?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

no, any window it would pop up.

Can you plug it into a different USB port on the computer.

Do you see a popup then appear in itunes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no popups in itunes - and most my USB ports are taken - can I switch them as we speak?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or, would it help to un-plug a few things?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No that wont change anything.

With the phone that's connected, hold the power and home buttons on the iPhone for about 10 seconds and tell me please if you then get a popup in itunes showing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, the mac apple showed up - and bk to the same window
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If it is not even connecting correct to iTunes then this explains why it is disabled.

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted. We have ruled out all other causes for this.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the phone to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, bummer!!!! I had taken it into APPLE yesterday and they said they weren't able to fix the problem either - this maybe a real challange! Thank you for your effort. Since you were not able to bring me success, am I still charged for this service?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

They can fix it, they need to replace the board.

It is for my service you paid Tanya, the time and effort spent with you to resolve or confirm the issue and instruct what you need to do next, which I did. This is the service you paid for and it's my livelihood.

If we only worked when the problem is fixed then no one would have taken your question, on the chance this was the issue.

It is the service to confirm and instruct whats needed to fix this that you have paid for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your right this is livelihood - and that's why I'd like to get this phone up and running because with out it I'm not able to make the smallest amount and it hurts alot!! As you obviously know. But it's a shame no one is able to solve this problem and I continue to be pushed to the next one who will COST ME MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$. And I don't look forward to asking Apple to replace my phone, that won't happen quickly nor easily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, I am sorry Tanya but I can only tell you the reality of the situation and what needs to be done. And this is the case. If it is under warranty it will be covered but this needs to happen with the phone sorry.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you