Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

First time I have used this so hopefully I wont mess up. I…

Customer Question
Hi there, first time I...
Hi there, first time I have used this so hopefully I wont mess up. I have a problem configuring port forwarding on my Apple Extreme Router. I'm pretty good with computers normally but I've been trying to sort this for a day or two and getting nowhere! Anyone out there who can help? Many thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 2 years ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

Whats the port your trying to forward? To which device? And whats the issue you encounter?

Thank you

Hi Richard, I am using a CCTV monitoring system which allows me to view the IP cameras I have installed at my home. My iPad allows me to see them as long it is connected to my Wi-Fi network, but will not let my view it over the internet. I have the individual IP and port numbers for the cameras, the IP address of my router and my private and public IP addresses of my laptop. The web server settings on the surveillance software (iSpy Connect) are as followsUPNP (IPv4): LAN Port 8080 - WAN Port 8080
IP Address 192.168.150.18
The auto configure with UPNP and the DHCP Reroute boxes are both ticked

ok, so the CCTV "Box" that handles network traffic has the private ip 192.168.150.18 ?

And what IP do you see when you go to www.whatsmyip.com?

The software runs on my laptop and is configured to receive the images from the IP cameras directly, apparently the software has its own built in web server which allows me to access it over the internet.Its saying my IP address is 185.113.41.116 and that it is provided by my ISP, however I don't understand what the address 192.168.150.18 is on the monitoring software's, web server settings that it has obviously found (I did not put this last number in)

ok, what is the IP of the computer its running on? And its a mac or windows?

The IP address of my computer, if I am reading it correctly is 192.168.150.18 (although it actually says that this is the IP address of my wireless adaptor, but I guess that's the same thing)??I'm running Windows 10 and I use Norton 360 security but have configured Norton to allow iSpy through my Norton Firewall.

ok, then this is why it gets the ip address in the web server settings.

Can you completely disable Norton, so turn it off, and tell me when you have please.

Okay done!

when you access it on your network, do you put :8080 at the end of the ip? and is this happening via the web browser?

as far as I am aware this is what happens.I log onto an the application through say my iPad (through my ipad internet browser Google, it brings up the web page, I log in and then I can see alerts and live streaming but only whilst I am on the LAN ie at home. If I try exactly the same thing outside of my wi fi the application opens after I've logged in but will not show any of the camera images. I don't have to put any ip addresses in as the software already has all of this information.

ok, when your outside you have to use the IP

185.113.41.116

As thats the public ip, can you try this from another location, make sure its that IP you use.

This is what I get from the Remote Access Settings trouble shooting,Local iSpy Server: http://192.168.150.18:8080
Checking local server... OK
Checking WebServer... OK
Checking your firewall... iSpy is enabled
Checking your account... Found:***@******.***
Your subscription is valid.
IPv4: Checking port mappings...
IPv4 Port mappings are unavailable - set up port mapping manually, instructions here: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
Checking external access...
iSpyConnect is trying to contact your server at: http://185.113.41.116:8080/command.txt?test&auth=c4509d5d-6ee3-4525-8ef2-887266e3cdcb
Failed: Could not connect to iSpy running on your computer. Check your firewall and router settings. If you continue local access, SMS and email alerts will still work but remote (external) access to view your cameras and microphones won't be available.
Your router should be configured to forward TCP traffic from WAN (external) port 8080 to internal (LAN) port 8080 on IP address 192.168.150.18Please see the troubleshooting section here: http://www.ispyconnect.com/userguide-remote-access-troubleshooting.aspx
Hope this helps?

yes, but your using the Private IP, you need to use the public IP when away from home.

when your outside you have to use the IP

185.113.41.116

Okay, I live very remotely out in Spain but I will go out and try this and get back to you....thanks.

thank you, ***** ***** use the Public IP with the :8080 after it please

How did you go with this?

Sorry for not coming back sooner, still no good.....it will still not work outside of my LAN. The software I use for monitoring the cameras is saying this again, as if there is a problem with the settings on my Airport Extreme. I have looked in the Airport Utility but its all a bit beyond me.
Local iSpy Server: http://192.168.150.23:8080
Warning: You are binding to a specific IP address. This can cause issues on systems with multiple NICs. Try unchecking the Bind To IP Address option in settings/ web server if you have problems.
Checking local server... OK
Checking WebServer... Webservices not responding.
Your subscription is valid.
IPv4: Checking port mappings...
Checking external access...
iSpyConnect is trying to contact your server at: http://185.113.41.116:8080/command.txt?test&auth=50ef77b7-10f0-4310-9b6f-99593ec2f3d0
Your router should be configured to forward TCP traffic from WAN (external) port 8080 to internal (LAN) port 8080 on IP address 192.168.150.23Please see the troubleshooting section here: http://www.ispyconnect.com/userguide-remote-access-troubleshooting.aspx

If it is saying this

Then your not using the external IP of 185.113.41.116:8080 to connect, your still using the internal one.

Okay, then how do I tell the software to use the external IP??

Depends on what software this is...

It is in the connection settings of the app or software you are running.

Okay ill have a look at that now.

Thanks, ***** ***** why I kept repeating yesterday to use the External IP I gave you, not the private one.

Hi....Okay I've gone into the software on my laptop and brought up the Web Server Settings box, but there seems no way to tell the software to use the external IP address rather than the local IP address. I have also used the web browser to access my account on the monitoring (as I would on my iPad if I was using WAN) software and yes, it was trying to access through the internal IP address. There is an override URL address that you can put in so I typed the external address as you sent me, saved the settings then ran the Web Remote Access Settings menu and it is coming up with exactly the same, that there is a problem with my ISP or the port forwarding configuration on the router. I contacted my ISP and they are also saying that the problem is with my router configuration, not at their end.

If you go to this site

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

And check on port 8080

Does it say its open?

This is what it said,Error: I could not see your service on 185.113.41.116 on port (8080)
Reason: Connection timed outYour IP:Port to Check:Check Port

The Apple Extreme Router, what is it connecting to for internet?

It is connected to a Linksys modem model SPA 2102.
I have to go out for a couple of hours but will check in with you later. Cheers

ok, this is also a router, so this will be your problem.

Can you follow these instructions to put the Apple Extreme in Bridge mode so the Linksys has all routing

https://gigaom.com/2010/03/03/how-to-setup-an-airport-extreme-in-bridge-mode/

then follow the steps here to do the port forwarding on the Linksys

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/SPA-2102/Lingo_VoIP.htm

Once thats in place then it will forward correctly.

This has different ports, but you only need to forward port 8080

Let me know how you go please.