How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr.Med Your Own Question
Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer
Category: Mac
Satisfied Customers: 1419
Experience:  if you looking for good answers about mac or any product of apple (ipad, iphones, ect..) contact me
Type Your Mac Question Here...
Mr.Med is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to restore ipad on iTunes keep getting 4005 error.

Customer Question

trying to restore ipad on iTunes keep getting 4005 error. what can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, Please Try these steps to restore your Ipad device:

  1. Install the latest version of iTunes. :
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Check for updates to your Mac : If you restart your computer for an update, check for updates again after you restart.
  4. Try to restore your device using another USB cable.
  5. Try to restore your device on another computer.
  6. Force your device to restart. :

If you continue to see error 4005, when you try to restore your iPad, Please contact apple support at :

Hope this help

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the stars below, positive ratings are appreciated. if you still need help, please reply back to me and i will gladly continue to help you.

Note :Only rate if you are satisfied, Please do not rate an answer as poor or bad service if you are not satisfied


Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Thank you