Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a MacBook Pro operating 10.6.8. A while ago it

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a MacBook Pro operating 10.6.8. A while ago it started to be super slow when booting up and the boot-up it kept getting slower. Now it keeps freezing and most of the time there is no way to force quit programs because the color wheel keeps turning endlessly. I can't use use my Mac now because everything freezes, even if I open only 1 program. Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Most of the time now the only way to shut it down is to hold the power button down until it the computer turns itself off.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
1/25/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Ive seen this issue many times. And most of the time it is repairable..

The first question I have is how do you want to work together, Over the phone or via written support?

Thank you for your response.

Dustin S.

Could you send me the written directions first and if I can't figure it out then can we do it over the phone?
how would I get a hold of you for the phone support?
HI, Dustin, are you there?

Id send you the phone support request, you would click it and approve it and provide your number. Then I would call you.

Lets try some repairs though.. Lets start here

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on your Mac.
Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

When the mac starts to turn back on.. Turn it off.

Then, turn it on and immeiately press and hold the left shift key on your keyboard. Keep holding it till you hear the startup chime a second time.

Then release shift and allow the mac to boot.. Once you get to your desktop.

Run this command.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Once it says permissions repair complete in the bottom of the white window.

restart your mac and let it boot normally. Hows it running now?

If you get stuck and cant complete any of those steps send a reply here and I will help you get through them.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Dustin, I will try what you suggested but I am confused. A window just popped up saying "call me" and stating that it would cost $20. Is that over and above the amount I already agreed to pay (and entered my credit card)?

That amount would be in addition to the written support fee.

You dont have to accept it if you dont want, and we can try to work through this via written support instead.

Dustin, hello! I am trying what you suggested but when I typed "disk utility" in the finder, it doesn't show me any results. Do you know why that might be?

Are you using a K with disk utility

What does that mean?

when you typed in disk utility into the spotlight / finder

did you use a k or a c for the word disk ?

disk.

If we cant get the finder to show disk utility, lets try to get there manually.

Go into your applications, utilities folder, and select disk utility.

That should launch the disk utility.. Then,

I'm running it now. thanks

Excellent~

keep me posted.

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist