Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just updated to El Capitain. Now none of my external hard…

Customer Question
I just updated to El...
I just updated to El Capitain. Now none of my external hard drives work any more. They are all read only and most of them are more than half empty. how can I write to them again?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
1/23/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech replied 2 years ago
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try the following fix:

Solution #1:

- Download and install the item NTFS_for_Mac... and the website below, then check:

http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/external-products/backup-plus/_shared/downloads/NTFS_for_Mac_14.0.456.dmg

Thank you.

If the above does link does not work, then download and install the NTFS-free-10.8.2.pkg at the website below and check:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ntfsfree/files/?source=navbar

Thank you.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, please try the following:

1. Insert an external hard drive to the computer.
  2. Create a new folder on the Desktop screen.
  3. Move all the content from the external hard drive to the new folder on the Desktop.
  4. Click on Finder, then open Applications, then open folder Utilities, then open Disk Utility.
  5. Click on the external drive on the left.
  6. Click on Erase tab at the top.
  7. In the Format section, select the option Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
  8. In the Name section, enter a name for the hard drive (any name you want.)
  9. Click on Erase, then click on Erase again to confirm.
  10. Once it's done, then you should able to write to the external drive now. You can move back the content from the new folder in the Desktop to the external drive.

- You can do the above steps for each external drive you have.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me. Thank you.

If you still need help with this issue or with anything else, please let me know. If everything is fine, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much,

Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech