Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics.
23511658

I have a Mac Book Air with most recent version of MS Office.

Customer Question

I have a Mac Book Air with most recent version of MS Office. I keep getting an error message when I open up a docx file;
"Word found unreadable content in Global Event Medicine 2.0 Volleyball Event Injury.docx. Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click Yes."
When I edit this file I have to rename it as it will only be titled "Document 1" and not my file name
The origin of this file is that I went to a college professor who made a small medical chart for me that would have buttons which I could touch. We would use this at sports events. More recently I decided to edit it and print it off to have paper/pencil charts. I do not care about the hot buttons for my current project. Might the hot buttons and text fields be the reason I get the error message? I should point out that my changes/edits are saved. But again, when I click on my file name from Finder it will only bring it up as an alternative file "Document 1" Thanks for your assistance with this. Please advise on how I can work around this.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been waiting for almost an hour and no reply. A few minutes ago I went to the official Microsoft support center and received my answer in detail in 3 minutes. I will not be using your company again.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

The reason it shows up as Document 1 is that it will open the file as read only if it thinks it is damaged. This means that you cannot just save again on top of the original file. But if you go to the file menu, you can do a "save as" and name the file whatever you'd like to name it. After that, it will have the new name on it. Just don't save it under the same name or you will overwrite the original file.

Once you "save as", you become the author. When you open the new file, it should not have problems with running the macros in the file since, by default, you trust your own documents. If it does ask you, you should only have to answer it once as long as you save the file after that.