Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an iMac which had a hard drive crash. New hard drive…

Customer Question
I have an iMac which...
I have an iMac which had a hard drive crash. New hard drive was installed and most software works. iTunes is an exception as I get a message that iTunes is in a locked folder and that I do not have write permission nor can I play a selection that I had on iTunes. Can you help me?
***** *****llich (###) ###-####***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
1/22/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 2 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You need to put iTunes music folder in your Musics folder which is in your home folder. After putting iTunes music folder in that folder, right click on iTunes music folder (or control + click) on it and select Get Info. Scroll to the bottom of Get Info window and you will see Sharing and Permission section.

In that, allow Read and Write permission to all users you see there. Then open iTunes. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

2

John, see this sample picture here --> http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/how-to-change-file-permissions-mac-os-x.jpg

You need give your iTunes music folder (which would be in your home > Musics folder) Read and Write privilege (to all users).

Ashik,
I want to continue, but not now. I had to leave our session due to another situation.

Hi John, sorry for the delay. When are you available, please post a reply in here. I will continue to help you.

I can be available on Friday morning, if that works for you? Name a time and I will be ready.

John, Sounds good. What about Friday morning 7:00 or 8:00 ?

Let's do 8 AM. You will call, or how to I connect?

Just post a reply in here when you are available and I will get back to you. I will also post a message or send you an email

Best Regards,

Ashik,
Friday morning will not work for me. Contacts that I thought would be available today were not, so I must make the contacts on Friday. Sorry! Please contact me next week and we will try again.

John, Any time you prefer. You can get back to me next week.

Best Regards,

Hi there, It's me Ashik again. I'm just checking. How is it going ?

If you get a chance, try this. Right click on iTunes music folder (or control + click) on it and select Get Info. Scroll to the bottom of Get Info window and you will see Sharing and Permission section. In that, for everyone and your user account, under Privileges, click the small up/down arrow button and select Read and Write.

Then click on the small gear button and select Apply to Enclosed items. Close it and open iTunes. (You may need to unlock the lock there first)