Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I had my imac in to remove a stuck disk, they has to

Customer Question

I had my imac in to remove a stuck disk, they has to disassemble it. When I brought it home and turned it on my fan is running at high speed, it never done that before. I tried doing the SMC reset and the Pram reset but nothing is working. There is nothing running that is using any power in Activates Monitor. Any suggestions to what else I can do.I tried almost everything on the website they said to do but no luck. i even called the place I took it to to get fixed but they don't know either.Your help would be gratefully appreciated as I do all my banking excetra on my Mac.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

It was not clear sorry but is the Mac still functioning correctly apart from the Fan spinning at excess speed?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello , what was not clear, you never offered any suggestion to my problem, the fan turns on as soon as the computer is booting up,it even runs in sleep mode.It never done this before,this started when I had the stuck disk removed, they had to remove the disk drive.When i brought it home and turned it on the fan started running full speed.Went on the Apple website tried everything they suggested but nothing is working.Next thing to try is the hammer,nobody seems to know what is wrong. Sorry but I'm getting mighty fed up.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is not clear if the Mac is still functioning correctly apart from the Fan issue, this is what I need to know please.

I am sorry if you are fed up with me.... but its a question I need answered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it works fine otherwise,the fan is so loud it's really annoying.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

The most common cause is over heating due to the vents blocked up or dust.

Can you vacuum via the vents on the iMac to try to get all the dust out (make sure it is powered off and the power cable is removed first)

Then connect the power, turn it on and tell me if the Fan operates correctly please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know later on, getting ready for work,you'd think they would have vacuumed it out when they had it apart.But I'll give it a try see what happens, it's not you I'm fed up with it's the trying every thing and nothings working.It kind of gets to you after awhile. I was called in to work so as soon as I get home I'll try what you suggested.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard I did what you suggested vacuuming the vents out but the fan is still running.I'm just wondering if the tech didn't hook something up the wrong way. I've been calling them but they never call me back. I will never take anything there to get fixed again.You'd think they would have the decency to call back.I even called Best Buy the Geek Squad but they never call you back either .I've left messages to call me but nothing. There was nothing wrong with the fan when I took it in to remove a stuck disk, what they did I don't know. You'd think they would say to bring it back and have it checked. I guess I'll have to put up with the blowing noise.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It appears its overheating, its possible they did not put the heatsink in properly, or the cabling is not laid correctly and its covering the vents, so making the computer work much harder in order to cool off. But it really points to an overheating problem.

You will need to have someone physically look at it, and I would advise to just return there with it and demand they do this. The work should be covered by a warranty.

Let me know how you go please.