Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

When I type anything on my iPad, something other than what I…

Customer Question
When I type anything on...
When I type anything on my iPad, something other than what I type appears, eg: c shows up as chn. Other times typing will change sound volume or take a screenshot.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
1/20/2016
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 2 years ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Let's reset iOS settings. This will not remove any personal data but will reset iOS options back to current system defaults. You may have to re-enter passwords for Wi-Fi and other services.

On the device;

tap Settings

tap General

tap Reset

tap Reset All Settings

The device should eventually restart.

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks,

X that didn't work...

I'm sorry to hear that.

Tap Settings

tap General

tap Keyboard

tap Keyboards

What languages/keyboards do you see listed?

English/U.S.

Ok.

How do you normally back up this iPad? Via iTunes or with iCloud?

I don't back it up

Ok, do you have anything on it currently that you might need to keep before we would reset the device?

Just my bookmarks
My email would be saved by my Gmail account, right?
I use it exclusively to answer emails, play one online game that I can lose, and search Pinterest. I think Pinterest stores my pins.

Ok,

tap Settings

tap iCloud

If you are signed in, verify that "Safari" is turned on (green) and it should be automatically syncing your bookmarks already. If you are not signed in, please do so with your Apple ID and make sure the Safari setting is turned on.

Then let me know.

I can't do any of that. I can't access the internet because I can't type my password (or anything else)! Let's just do what we have to do & hope for the best...
In settings, Safari, many items are 'green'...

That should be Settings > iCloud > Safari if you can see it.

Otherwise,

tap Settings

tap General

tap Reset

then tap “Erase all content and settings”

When the device restarts, it will display the Setup Assistant.

In the Setup Assistant, try signing into an iCloud account using your Apple ID if possible.

Then let the set up finish.

I signed into iCloud & the system is restoring from the file saved this morning...
Hopefully it doesn't restore the glitch...
4 minutes remaining...
Apps and media are downloading...

Sounds great!

If you were able to get through the setup assistant using the keyboard normally that's a good sign it isn't a hardware issue.

I didn't realize that backups were occurring automatically in the background. I just bought this iPad from a friend and didn't do an entire setup from scratch! I'm waiting for the apps to install before linking to my 3rd party wireless keyboard. I've been using the on screen keyboard...
18 more apps to restore...
11... It's pretty fast...

Ok, just let me know.

If it continues to work with the on-screen keyboard but you wind up with a problem regarding the 3rd party keyboard then the problem is likely with that.

Ok... I'll let you know after the apps are done... Thanks for staying on with me!

No problem! :-)

I can't remember where to go in settings to link my Logitech keyboard to my iPad. Can you tell me?

This should likely be under Settings > Bluetooth.